Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trnsmiting thousands ftp files and get an error message Post 302090838 by Corona688 on Wednesday 27th of September 2006 03:49:14 PM
Old 09-27-2006
"mput *" is expanded in the shell, before it is executed, to "mput file1 file2 file3 ..." There is generally a limit of 32K or so for how long the line can be, which is why you get this error when trying to match * for thousands of files.

I'm not familiar with mput. Is it possible for it to take a list of files instead of arguments on the commandline? You could just do "ls > /tmp/filelist" to make the list.

You can also use xargs to split down that monolilthic list into more manageable batches. Keep the batches large enough and it shouldn't be too much slower. Try this:
Code:
# List files in the current directory, piping the output into xargs
ls ./ |
# For each batch of 100 or less, execute "mput file1 file2 ... filen" where filen is the nth file name in the batch.
    xargs --max-args=100 mput

ls will list the files one per line, xargs will group them together in batches of 100 and call 'mput file1 file2 file3 ... file100' for each batch.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppres error message when moving files from empty source folder

Hi, I would like to write a shell script that moves files from one folder to another without retrieving the error 'can not acces/find file or folder' when the source folder is empty. Any ideas, Thx in advance, Steven. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a specific pattern from thousands of files ????

Hi All, I want to find a specific pattern from approximately 400000 files on solaris platform. Its very heavy for me to grep that pattern to each file individually. Can anybody suggest me some way to search for specific pattern (alpha numeric) from these forty thousand files. Please note that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare two files if doesnt match then display error message

hi , i have one file ,i need to search particular word from this file and if content is matched then echo MATCHED else NOT MATCHED file contains : mr x planned to score 75% in exam but end up with 74%. word to be searched id 75% please help me out . waiting for reply thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atl@mav
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying Thousands of Tiny or Empty Files?

There is a procedure I do here at work where I have to synchronize file systems. The source file system always has three or four directories of hundreds of thousands of tiny (1k or smaller) or empty files. Whenever my rsync command reaches these directories, I'm waiting for hours for those files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to parallelize work on thousands of files

I need to find a smarter way to process about 60,000 files in a single directory. Every night a script runs on each file generating a output on another directory; this used to take 5 hours, but as the data grows it is taking 7 hours. The files are of different sizes, but there are 16 cores... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhope07
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate mean in AWK? line by line several files, thousands of lines

I'm kinda stuck on this one, I have 7 files with 30.000 lines/file like this 050 0.023 0.504336 050 0.024 0.529521 050 0.025 0.538908 050 0.026 0.537035 I want to find the mean line by line of the third column from the files named like this: Stat-f-1.dat .... Stat-f-7.dat Stat-s-1.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AriasFco
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Error Message

Hello All I have below code snippet /usr/bin/ftp -niv $ftphost 1>&2 >> $upload_log <<EndFtp quote user $ftp_user quote pass $ftp_pass cd $ftp_dir put $upload_file When i pass a wrong ftphost as a paramater, output is "ftp: abc.net: Name or service not known". (abc.net is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for patterns in thousands of files

Hi All, I want to search for a certain string in thousands of files and these files are distributed over different directories created daily. For that I created a small script in bash but while running it I am getting the below error: /ms.sh: xrealloc: subst.c:5173: cannot allocate... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftp files error

Hi Guys, I am trying to copy files using FTP but I get this error: Arguments to long... I read that I can copy files in batches...How can I copy those files in batches? I am currently using mget A*.csv B*.csv C*.csv, etc up to a certain letter then when its done i will continue. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-awk to process thousands of files

Hi to all, I have thousand of files in a folder with names with format "FILE-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM" for what I want to send the following AWK command awk '/Code.*/' FILE-2014* I'd like to separate all files that have the same date to a folder named with the corresponding date. For example, if I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies
SEND-UUCP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SEND-UUCP(8)

NAME
send-uucp, send-nntp, send-ihave - send Usenet articles to remote site SYNOPSIS
{ send-nntp | send-uucp | send-ihave } [ -d ] sitename:hostname | sitename [ sitename:hostname | sitename .. ] DESCRIPTION
The send-* utilities are scripts that process the batch files written by innd(8) to send Usenet articles to a remote NNTP or UUCP site. The sites to be fed may be specified by giving sitename hostname pairs on the command line. The sitename is the label the site has in the newsfeeds file, the hostname is the real hostname of the remote site, a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) in the case of an NNTP host, or the UUCP name in the case of a UUCP host. Normally, the sitename and the hostname are the same, and as such don't have to be specified as sitename:hostname pairs but just as a sitename. send-uucp compresses batches of news and sends the to the remote site with uux. send-nntp Starts an innxmit to send the articles to the remote site. send-ihave encapsulates the articles in an ihave control message and uses inews to send the articles to a to.sitename pseudo-group. Using send-ihave is discouraged, nobody uses it anymore and even the author of this manpage is unsure as to how it actually works or used to work. send-* expect that the batchfile for a site is named <pathoutgoing in inn.conf>/sitename. To prevent batchfile corruption, shlock(1) is used to ``lock'' these files. OPTIONS
-d The ``-d'' flag causes nntpsend to send output to stdout rather than the log file <pathlog in inn.conf>/<program-name>.log. NOTES
You should probably not use send-nntp, but innfeed, or if that is not possible, nntpsend. The usual flags in the newsfeed file to write a batch file suitable for processing by send-uucp are Tf,Wfb . The usual flags for a batch file for send-nntp are Tf,Wfm SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5), nntpsend(8) SEND-UUCP(8)