Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to run source .bashrc everytime Post 302090032 by kalyanraj on Friday 22nd of September 2006 05:20:20 AM
Old 09-22-2006
Need to run source .bashrc everytime

hi all,

I've included some variables in my .bashrc file. But everytime i'm logging in i need to source my .bashrc file to make effect of my variables.

i'm having an account on a highly secured production environment.

I've the following in my ~/.bashrc file

Code:
alias cls=clear

How to make it work without making source.

Thanks a ton,
Kalyan

Last edited by kalyanraj; 09-22-2006 at 06:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile relinks everytime

Hi guys, I'm a firsttime poster. My makefile is relinking everytime, even if nothing changes. Is there anyway to have it stop doing this? Here the makefile: F77C = /usr/bin/f77 -O VERSION =9.4 VPATH = ../poten # executables that can be built from this makefile OH3S =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bellings
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up file everytime script run and saving other backups

how would i go about creatng a backup of a file everytime a script is run so that the next time it is run the old backup gets pushed back and the most recent backup is 1st. (new)backup.1 (old)backup.2 that kind of idea?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knc9233
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does my webserver stop everytime I exit my session?

Hi, We have a webserver which runs on our unix server, we had to stop it for some work to be carried out, and restarted it earlier this week. I'm logging in as myself and then root and starting the webserver as follows: cd /etc/init.d ./northgate.web start this starts it up fine,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenny123m
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation

I search the web and found the following statements ..... The /etc/profile file is a system wide initialization script which is run at login time for each user, while .profile is the users own login initialization. The .bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

5. Programming

I have C++ exe file( no source code) and need to run many large dataset under unix, b

I have C++ exe file( no source code) and need to run many large dataset under unix, but how to know the memeroy usage for one dataset?http://www.codeproject.com/script/Forums/Images/New.gif I think "top" is not good and if using the profiler, it seems no free download, any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Danielwang1986
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a script to run everytime a new file is copied into a directory??

Hi folks I have a unix script script1 in a directory folder1 and also I have few input log files in this directory. My input log files will be copied into this directory folder1 from the portable thumb drive. Now what I want is I need to run this script1 whenever any new file is copied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run Script in K Shell using Source

Hi While running a Shell Script in a K Shell using the source command source <script_name> It gives the error .. source: not found. Null message body; hope that's ok Is it that the source command does not work in K Shell. It works well in bash shell. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harneet2004us
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script run everytime a new terminal window is opened

I created a script called title #!/bin/sh echo "^0;$*^G" It will change the terminal window titlebar to what ever I type after the script (title BIG would change titlebar to BIG instead of terminal) Is there a way to make it run so it will work on every terminal window that gets opened.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amason0508
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To move multiple files to a new folder everytime

Hi , Below is the scenario A.txt B.txt C.csv .......... i want to move all the above files in to a new path & new folder .This folder is created based on date(for ex: today's fodler name will be 20120222).for Everyday move a new folder based on date has to be created & this folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadeeshn04
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Test UNIX command without $? everytime

Hello all, working on Solaris 10 in ksh. Basicly, in my function, i'm trying to test that all my unix cmd's are true (exit status 0) else you flag the rcControlRule to 1 without going into spagetti mode code testing every $? in a if statement. The mdb is probably a little tricky cause it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
3 Replies
LOCALE(1)                                                        Linux User Manual                                                       LOCALE(1)

NAME
locale - get locale-specific information SYNOPSIS
locale [option] locale [option] -a locale [option] -m locale [option] name... DESCRIPTION
The locale command displays information about the current locale, or all locales, on standard output. When invoked without arguments, locale displays the current locale settings for each locale category (see locale(5)), based on the settings of the environment variables that control the locale (see locale(7)). Values for variables set in the environment are printed without dou- ble quotes, implied values are printed with double quotes. If either the -a or the -m option (or one of their long-format equivalents) is specified, the behavior is as follows: -a, --all-locales Display a list of all available locales. The -v option causes the LC_IDENTIFICATION metadata about each locale to be included in the output. -m, --charmaps Display the available charmaps (character set description files). To display the current character set for the locale, use locale -c charmap. The locale command can also be provided with one or more arguments, which are the names of locale keywords (for example, date_fmt, ctype- class-names, yesexpr, or decimal_point) or locale categories (for example, LC_CTYPE or LC_TIME). For each argument, the following is dis- played: * For a locale keyword, the value of that keyword to be displayed. * For a locale category, the values of all keywords in that category are displayed. When arguments are supplied, the following options are meaningful: -c, --category-name For a category name argument, write the name of the locale category on a separate line preceding the list of keyword values for that category. For a keyword name argument, write the name of the locale category for this keyword on a separate line preceding the keyword value. This option improves readability when multiple name arguments are specified. It can be combined with the -k option. -k, --keyword-name For each keyword whose value is being displayed, include also the name of that keyword, so that the output has the format: keyword="value" The locale command also knows about the following options: -v, --verbose Display additional information for some command-line option and argument combinations. -?, --help Display a summary of command-line options and arguments and exit. --usage Display a short usage message and exit. -V, --version Display the program version and exit. FILES
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive Usual default locale archive location. /usr/share/i18n/locales Usual default path for locale definition files. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
$ locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL= $ locale date_fmt %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y $ locale -k date_fmt date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y" $ locale -ck date_fmt LC_TIME date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y" $ locale LC_TELEPHONE +%c (%a) %l (%a) %l 11 1 UTF-8 $ locale -k LC_TELEPHONE tel_int_fmt="+%c (%a) %l" tel_dom_fmt="(%a) %l" int_select="11" int_prefix="1" telephone-codeset="UTF-8" The following example compiles a custom locale from the ./wrk directory with the localedef(1) utility under the $HOME/.locale directory, then tests the result with the date(1) command, and then sets the environment variables LOCPATH and LANG in the shell profile file so that the custom locale will be used in the subsequent user sessions: $ mkdir -p $HOME/.locale $ I18NPATH=./wrk/ localedef -f UTF-8 -i fi_SE $HOME/.locale/fi_SE.UTF-8 $ LOCPATH=$HOME/.locale LC_ALL=fi_SE.UTF-8 date $ echo "export LOCPATH=$HOME/.locale" >> $HOME/.bashrc $ echo "export LANG=fi_SE.UTF-8" >> $HOME/.bashrc SEE ALSO
localedef(1), charmap(5), locale(5), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 LOCALE(1)