Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delete line in file with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete line in file with sed Post 302089072 by vgersh99 on Saturday 16th of September 2006 03:00:12 PM
Old 09-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_49ers
thanks,

you mind explaining your code for me, since I am not quite sure what it does

thanks a lot
Steffen
it feeds 2 lines into the 'ex' utility:
Code:
# this line does the 'delete'
"g/${titlesearch}/d"
AND
# this line 'Writes' the file to disk and 'Quits' editing the file
'wq'

'man ex' for more options

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: delete regex line and next line if blank

Hi, I want to write a sed script which from batiato: batiato/giubbe: pip_b.2.txt pip_b.3.txt pip_b.3mmm.txt bennato: bennato/peterpan: 123.txt consoli: pip_a.12.txt daniele: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: one71
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

USING sed to delete a line

Please let me know wat would be sed command to delete any partcular line from a file and also moving lines below it to up. ie wen line #9 is deleted data in line #10 should move to #9 and so on. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Grep to delete line containing patter plus extra line

I'm new to using sed and grep commands, but have found them extremely useful. However I am having a hard time figuring this one out: Delete every line containing the word CEN and the next line as well. ie. test.txt blue 324 CEN green red blue 324 CEN green red blue to produce:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocketman88
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete line

HI, Im using the below commmand to delete lines having "(" at the start of a line. sed -e '/^(/d' But i need a command to delete lines that has only "(" in it and no other strings. infile - asdf asdf ( asdf ( asd outfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the line with a particular string in a file using sed command.

Hello, I want to delete all lines with given string in file1 and the string val is dynamic. Can this be done using sed command. Sample: vars="test twinning yellow" for i in $vars do grep $i file1 if then echo "Do Nothing" else sed `/$i/d` file1 fi done Using the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasadAruna
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete everything after > on line

I have a large data file that I need to edit. There are lines like, > <IDNUMBER> (ST000002) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000002) > <IDNUMBER> (ST000004) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000004) and I need to delete everything after the >, excepting the end of line. > <IDNUMBER> > <SUPPLIER> > <IDNUMBER> > ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete selected line from file

Ultimate goal is to delete lines from before and after a block of lines in a given file. First attempt was something like this: sed -e '1,/STARTUP/ d' inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt but that deleted everything down to and including the line with STARTUP. I need to delete everything before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete line from file using sed command?

hello Team, I want to delete below linux using sed command but I am getting error.sed -i '/url=/status.cgi?hostgroup=/d' 3 error:sed: -e expression #1, char 32: unknown option to `s' Could you please help me with correct syntax. My line contain / character because of that I am getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)