Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delete line in file with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete line in file with sed Post 302089066 by forever_49ers on Saturday 16th of September 2006 01:41:37 PM
Old 09-16-2006
delete line in file with sed

sed "/$titlesearch/d" movielist

will delete any line in the file movielist that matches $titlesearch, but this is only a screen print correct ?

how can I have sed to actually delete the line from the file so that it doesnt appear next time I open the file ?

thanks
Steffen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: delete regex line and next line if blank

Hi, I want to write a sed script which from batiato: batiato/giubbe: pip_b.2.txt pip_b.3.txt pip_b.3mmm.txt bennato: bennato/peterpan: 123.txt consoli: pip_a.12.txt daniele: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: one71
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

USING sed to delete a line

Please let me know wat would be sed command to delete any partcular line from a file and also moving lines below it to up. ie wen line #9 is deleted data in line #10 should move to #9 and so on. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Grep to delete line containing patter plus extra line

I'm new to using sed and grep commands, but have found them extremely useful. However I am having a hard time figuring this one out: Delete every line containing the word CEN and the next line as well. ie. test.txt blue 324 CEN green red blue 324 CEN green red blue to produce:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocketman88
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete line

HI, Im using the below commmand to delete lines having "(" at the start of a line. sed -e '/^(/d' But i need a command to delete lines that has only "(" in it and no other strings. infile - asdf asdf ( asdf ( asd outfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the line with a particular string in a file using sed command.

Hello, I want to delete all lines with given string in file1 and the string val is dynamic. Can this be done using sed command. Sample: vars="test twinning yellow" for i in $vars do grep $i file1 if then echo "Do Nothing" else sed `/$i/d` file1 fi done Using the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasadAruna
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete everything after > on line

I have a large data file that I need to edit. There are lines like, > <IDNUMBER> (ST000002) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000002) > <IDNUMBER> (ST000004) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000004) and I need to delete everything after the >, excepting the end of line. > <IDNUMBER> > <SUPPLIER> > <IDNUMBER> > ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete selected line from file

Ultimate goal is to delete lines from before and after a block of lines in a given file. First attempt was something like this: sed -e '1,/STARTUP/ d' inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt but that deleted everything down to and including the line with STARTUP. I need to delete everything before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete line from file using sed command?

hello Team, I want to delete below linux using sed command but I am getting error.sed -i '/url=/status.cgi?hostgroup=/d' 3 error:sed: -e expression #1, char 32: unknown option to `s' Could you please help me with correct syntax. My line contain / character because of that I am getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
4 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)