Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular expression query in AWK Post 302088879 by omprasad on Friday 15th of September 2006 01:50:55 AM
Old 09-15-2006
Question Regular expression query in AWK

I have a varable(var1) in a AWK script that contain data in the following format

[timestamp] [priority] - [log message]

I need to extract timestamp,priority and log message.I can extract these by using split function but i don't want to use it, since i want to extract it in one go. I have some difficulties in doing it using Regular expression using a single statement. Can anybody help me on this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and regular expression

Ive got a file with words and also numbers. Bla BLA 10 10 11 29 12 89 13 35 And i need to change "10,29,89,25" and also remove anything that contains actually words... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression and awk

I can print a line with an expression using this: awk '/regex/' I can print the line immediately before an expression using this: awk '/regex/{print x};{x=$0}' How do I print the line immediately before and then the line with the expression? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help guys for Regular expression in awk

Hello Experts, Please help me to cope with the following problem I ve patterens like Input Noptx(5) // remain the same -*Nop(3); Nop(9); --Nop(8); // remain the same d3 **---Nop(7); //remain the same d3 **---Nop(7); *--Nop(6); --**Nop(5); -Nop(4); Nop(3); - represents a space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression query in AWK

Hi, I have a string like this-->"After Executing service For 10 Request" in this string i need to extract "10". the contents of the string is variable and "10" appears before "For" and after "Request" i.e, in this format "For x Request" I need to extract the value of x. How to do this in AWK?... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprasad
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk's variable in regular expression

Anyone know how I will use awk's variable in a regular expression? This line of code of mine is working, the value PREMS should be a variable: awk '$1 ~ /PREMS/ { if(length(appldata)+2 >= length($1)) print $0; }' appldata=$APPLDATA /tmp/file.tmp The value of APPLDATA variable is PREMS. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Regarding Regular Expression

Can you please tell me the meaning of .* For eg. i have a text as "Scrapple the apple" Now here, what does a.*e will match? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell_Learner
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression in AWK

Hello world, I was wondering if there is a nicer way to write the following code (in AWK): awk ' FNR==NR&&$1~/^m$/{tok1=1} FNR==NR&&$1~/^m10$/{tok1=1} ' my_file In fact, it looks for m2, m4, m6, m8 and m10 and then return a positive flag. The problem is how to define 10 thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regular expression

Hello, I have big files which I wanna filter them based on first column. first column should be one of these strings: chr2L || chr2R || chr3L || chr3R || chr4 || chrX and something like chr2Lh or chrY or chrM3L is not accepted. I used the following command: awk '{ if ($1=="chr2L" ||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regular expression search

Hi All, I would like to search a regular expression by passing as an i/p variableto AWK. For Example :: 162.111.101.209.9516 162.111.101.209.41891 162.111.101.209.9516 162.111.101.209.9517 162.111.101.209.41918 162.111.101.209.9517 162.111.101.209.41937 162.111.101.209.41951... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- make entries in the system log SYNOPSIS
logger [-is] [-f file] [-p pri] [-t tag] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
Logger provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. Options: -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -f file Log the specified file. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice.'' -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag. message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). 4.3 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.3 Berkeley Distribution