Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace a string with content from another file Post 302088707 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 14th of September 2006 12:46:24 AM
Old 09-14-2006
while a shell solution is on the way , here is an alternative, in Python

Code:
>>> import fileinput
>>> Bcontents = open("fileB").read() #fileB contents stored as string
>>> for lines in fileinput.FileInput("fileA",inplace=1): #inplace editing of fileA
... 	lines = lines.strip() #get rid of newlines
... 	if lines.startswith("xxxx"):
... 		lines = Bcontents
... 	print lines

In fileA:

bor bor bor
something something
something
bib bib bi

Last edited by ghostdog74; 09-14-2006 at 02:03 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace file content

Hi, I want to replace _F* by _F in a xml file. what is the sed command. I have tried sed "s/_F$/_F/g" or sed "s/_F*/_F/g" , but it does not work. thx file content <TAG>KC_FOU</TAG> <TAG>KC_FABC</TAG> <TAG>KC_FABCDG</TAG> desire output <TAG>KC_F</TAG> <TAG>KC_F</TAG> <TAG>KC_F</TAG> (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreyyip
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace some content of a file and write with a new name

Hi I have a control file which looks like this LOAD DATA INFILE '/home/scott/XXX.dat' PRESERVE BLANKS ............. ............. how can i change the content of this file and replace the file in the second line with anothe file name and write it back with another name to the disk? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string by file content

hi I have template file my.tpl: bla-bla-bla <link href="style.css" type="text/css"> bla-bla-bla and style.css : body{margin: 0px;} I want to get in result one file: bla-bla-bla <script>body{margin: 0px;}</script> bla-bla-bla I tryed to used SED: sed '/<link .*href=\"(*)*\"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dim_nsk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace particular content in a xml file

Hi, My requirement is to find a text and replace it with another in a XML file. I am new to Unix,Please provide some suggestion to achieve. Find: <Style ss:ID="ColumnHeader1"> Replace with: <Style ss:ID="ColumnHeader1"> <Borders> <Border ss:Position="Bottom"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple file content?

Hi Gurus, I need replace multiple files content. the file name pattern likes currentfile_code_* the content pattern in the file like text=value I need replace the content as text=abcde Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file with some content indexed from another file.

We have two files file 1: (usually small, ~100 lines), each line contains a : separated index, value e.g 2: Apple 1: Banana 5: Pear 7: Orange File 2: (usually large, 10 million lines or more), each line contains a single string value. e.g xyz1 xyz2 xyz3 xyz4 xyz5 xyz6 xyz7 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace file name with Space as content

Hi, I am having a files in my directory like this: 2014 1049_file1.txt 2014 1050_file2.txt 2014 1110_file3.txt 2014 1145_file4.txt 2014 2049_file5.txt I need to replace the above file names like this without changing the content of filename: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace content from a file and save

Hi, Right now there is a file called 'qm.ini' which is owned by mqm:mqm and I am trying to replace a line from this file with something else and save. I am using the below perl command to replace and save within a shell script with a different user called 'mqadm' which is also part of mqm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bdpl
1 Replies
uniq(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uniq(1)

Name
       uniq - report repeated lines in a file

Syntax
       uniq [-udc[+n][-n]] [input[output]]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  input	file comparing adjacent lines.	In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are
       removed; the remainder is written on the output file.  Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found.  For further  infor-
       mation, see

Options
       The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison:

-n Skips specified number of fields.  A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab characters separated by tabs and spaces from its
	  neighbors.

+n Skips specified number of characters in addition to fields.  Fields are skipped before characters.

-c Displays number of repetitions, if any, for each line.

-d Displays only lines that were repeated.

-u Displays only unique (nonrepeated) lines.

If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output.  The -d option specifies  that  one  copy	of
       just the repeated lines is to be written.  The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs.

The  -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of
       times it occurred.

See Also
       comm(1), sort(1)

uniq(1)