Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace a string with content from another file Post 302088686 by afatguy on Wednesday 13th of September 2006 10:18:25 PM
Old 09-13-2006
replace a string with content from another file

Hi,
I'm a newbi in shell script. Here what I want to do:

FileA:
bor bor bor
xxxx
bib bib bi

FileB:

something something
something

I want to replace string "xxxx" in FileA with contents of FileB.
i tried with sed:

fileb=`cat FileB`
reg=xxxx
file=FileA

sed -e "s+$reg+$fileb+g" $file

but it said:
sed: Function s+reg+ cannot be parsed.

thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace file content

Hi, I want to replace _F* by _F in a xml file. what is the sed command. I have tried sed "s/_F$/_F/g" or sed "s/_F*/_F/g" , but it does not work. thx file content <TAG>KC_FOU</TAG> <TAG>KC_FABC</TAG> <TAG>KC_FABCDG</TAG> desire output <TAG>KC_F</TAG> <TAG>KC_F</TAG> <TAG>KC_F</TAG> (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreyyip
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace some content of a file and write with a new name

Hi I have a control file which looks like this LOAD DATA INFILE '/home/scott/XXX.dat' PRESERVE BLANKS ............. ............. how can i change the content of this file and replace the file in the second line with anothe file name and write it back with another name to the disk? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string by file content

hi I have template file my.tpl: bla-bla-bla <link href="style.css" type="text/css"> bla-bla-bla and style.css : body{margin: 0px;} I want to get in result one file: bla-bla-bla <script>body{margin: 0px;}</script> bla-bla-bla I tryed to used SED: sed '/<link .*href=\"(*)*\"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dim_nsk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace particular content in a xml file

Hi, My requirement is to find a text and replace it with another in a XML file. I am new to Unix,Please provide some suggestion to achieve. Find: <Style ss:ID="ColumnHeader1"> Replace with: <Style ss:ID="ColumnHeader1"> <Borders> <Border ss:Position="Bottom"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple file content?

Hi Gurus, I need replace multiple files content. the file name pattern likes currentfile_code_* the content pattern in the file like text=value I need replace the content as text=abcde Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file with some content indexed from another file.

We have two files file 1: (usually small, ~100 lines), each line contains a : separated index, value e.g 2: Apple 1: Banana 5: Pear 7: Orange File 2: (usually large, 10 million lines or more), each line contains a single string value. e.g xyz1 xyz2 xyz3 xyz4 xyz5 xyz6 xyz7 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace file name with Space as content

Hi, I am having a files in my directory like this: 2014 1049_file1.txt 2014 1050_file2.txt 2014 1110_file3.txt 2014 1145_file4.txt 2014 2049_file5.txt I need to replace the above file names like this without changing the content of filename: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace content from a file and save

Hi, Right now there is a file called 'qm.ini' which is owned by mqm:mqm and I am trying to replace a line from this file with something else and save. I am using the below perl command to replace and save within a shell script with a different user called 'mqadm' which is also part of mqm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bdpl
1 Replies
iodbctest(1)						       iODBC Driver Manager						      iodbctest(1)

NAME
iodbctest, iodbctestw - iODBC Demonstration programs SYNOPSIS
iodbctest ["DSN=xxxx[;UID=xxxx][;PWD=xxxx][;OPT=value]"] iodbctestw ["DSN=xxxx[;UID=xxxx][;PWD=xxxx][;OPT=value]"] DESCRIPTION
The iodbctest program and iodbtestw programs are simple ODBC sample programs, showing the strength of the ODBC API to connect to any ODBC enabled database, issue SQL commands and retrieve the query results. The iodbctest program uses the standard ODBC API calls to connect using any DSN, but retrieves all results in ASCII mode. The iodbctestw program uses the ODBC Unicode API calls to connect using any DSN, and retrieves all results in Unicode mode. OPTIONS
The iodbctest program uses the SQLDriverConnect function to make a connection using any available ODBC compliant driver. This allows the user to override any ODBC connect attribute in the DSN string. Connect strings should start with either a DSN=xxx or a DRIVER=xxxx attribute optionally followed by other DSN attributes separated by a semicolon e.g: DSN=ora9;UID=scott;PWD=tiger;DATABASE=ora9u Any attributes required for a proper connection that are not entered in the DSN connect string, must be present in the odbc.ini file. If the connect string is passed as an argument to the iodbctest program, the string should be quoted as most shells use the semicolon as their command separator. If the connect string is entered on the interactive prompt, no quotes should be used. After a successful connection has been established, the user is prompted for a SQL command to be send to the database. A SQL command cannot span multiple lines. If the SQL command returns one or more result sets, each result set is fetched using character buffers and displayed in a table. Additionally, the iodbctest program understands a few special commands: qualifiers Show a list of qualifiers using the SQLTables catalog call. owners Show a list of owners using the SQLTables catalog call. tables Show a list of tables using the SQLTables catalog call. types Show a list of tables types using the SQLTables catalog call. datatypes Show a list of data types using the SQLGetTypeInfo catalog call. reconnect Perform a disconnect/reconnect with the information saved during the first SQLDriverConnect. quit (or exit) Exit the program and return to the shell. EXAMPLES
Start the iodbctest program and get a list of DSNs before making a connection: $ iodbctest OpenLink ODBC Demonstration program This program shows an interactive SQL processor Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): ? DSN | Driver ----------------------------------------------------------------- ora9 | OpenLink Generic ODBC Driver mysql | OpenLink Generic ODBC Driver mysqllite | OpenLink Lite for MySQL myodbc | MyODBC Driver pgsql | OpenLink Generic ODBC Driver tds | OpenLink Generic ODBC Driver Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): DSN=ora9;PWD=tiger Driver: 05.20.0316 OpenLink Generic ODBC Driver (oplodbc.so) SQL> Connect to an Oracle 9 instance which has been previously setup in the odbc.ini file: $ iodbctest "DSN=ora9;UID=scott;PWD=tiger" iODBC Demonstration program This program shows an interactive SQL processor Driver: 05.20.0316 OpenLink Generic ODBC Driver (oplodbc.so) SQL>select * from emp ID |NAME -----------------+------------------------------------------- 1 |Record 1 2 |Record 2 2 |Record 3 result set 1 returned 3 rows. SQL> quit COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by OpenLink Software AUTHOR
iODBC Administrator <iodbc@openlinksw.com> 3.52.7 3 August 2005 iodbctest(1)