Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I forgot my UNIX password!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I forgot my UNIX password!! Post 302088313 by jim mcnamara on Monday 11th of September 2006 10:43:55 AM
Old 09-11-2006
You can download solaris express 10 CD images, boot on it and edit out root's password on the Solaris 9 disk. ie., in the passwd file, edit the entry for root, set the passwd field empty.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

forgot password red hat ?

Dear Forum savants, I have a problem that I am not sure how to overcome. Two years ago I had a friend build me computer with a linux os (red hat) for learning purposes. It happens to have an oracle server on it as well... Anyway , because of personal reasons, I lost complete interest in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

forgot password

i forgot my password on a HP-UX 9.xx machine. is there a possible way of changing it without knowing the root passwd? I would do it with a boot disk and chroot but I dont have a boot disk available.... any ideas? thanks!! Paul Tittel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paultittel
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forgot the privileged access password in ibm pseries615c3

Hi friends, I am having ibm pseries615c3 server. previously i set privileged access password for the firmware. Now i forgot that password. Help me to reset or remove the firmware password from the server. Otherwise anyone plz help me how to change the default boot device in pseries servers. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
8 Replies

4. Solaris

forgot password

hello friends, I am currently using solaris 10. I have lost the root password. Can you please give me a step by step procedure on how to set the password again. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forgot root password

i am a new user of unix . i lost my SGI unix server root password Any body please help me,how get password? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasu.k82
2 Replies

6. AIX

Cannot login into AIX machine. Forgot Password!

Hi, I cannot login to an AIX machine. The login mechanism was that we had disabled remote "root" logins. We have only one user that can access over SSH and that is "userabc". Probably have forgotten the password or it has expired. Is there a way to recover or login. I have the password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
2 Replies

7. Web Development

Forgot MYSQL password root

I have VPS openSUSE 12.2 I forgot MYSQL password root when i run in CMD: > mysql Error Message Show : >> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CloudniX
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

I have forgot my root password. Solaris 10

hi everyone i have forgot my root password and i have other user to login. can i get the password without restarting the server as that cant be afforded. . it is a Sparc architecture 2U blade server. it is old server mounted and functional since 2009. what should be the modus oprandee. i am novice... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: janakors
5 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [ -e ] [ -p ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ TTY ] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init(8) when the system goes into single user mode. (This is done through an entry in inittab(5).) Init also tries to execute sulogin when the boot loader (e.g., grub(8)) passes it the -b option. The user is prompted Give root password for system login (or type Control-D for normal startup): sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/con- sole). If the -t option is used then the program only waits the given number of seconds for user input. If the -p option is used then the single-user shell is invoked with a dash as the first character in argv[0]. This causes the shell process to behave as a login shell. The default is not to do this, so that the shell will not read /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile at startup. After the user exits the single-user shell, or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will (continue to) boot to the default runlevel. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. This is very valuable together with the -b option to init. To boot the system into single user mode, with the root file system mounted read/write, using a special "fail safe" shell that is statically linked (this example is valid for the LILO bootprompt) boot: linux -b rw sushell=/sbin/sash FALLBACK METHODS
sulogin checks the root password using the standard method (getpwnam) first. Then, if the -e option was specified, sulogin examines these files directly to find the root password: /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (if present) If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). 17 Jan 2006 SULOGIN(8)