Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connecting to samba server from unix command line Post 302088096 by ejbrever on Friday 8th of September 2006 11:44:02 AM
Old 09-08-2006
Connecting to samba server from unix command line

Hi, I am trying to connect to a samba server from my unix command line. I am using Ubuntu and I can access the server from the GUI, but I need to write a script to automate a backup. Does anyone know how to do a cd into a smb drive from the unix command line?

Thanks,
Eric

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to the net through the command line

hey, ive got a quetion for any one who can answer, im running mac os x and when you're at the login screen and type in ">console" as the user name it launches a complete command line enviroment once in that enviroment are there any text based utilities that i could use to connect to my isp? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HaK9
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting UNIX/Linux to NTP server

Hello i want to connect my solaris & Linux boxes to ntp server i used the command /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -b -p 8 -u <NTP-IP> and added the NTP server as server in /etc/ntp.conf please help in completing the process and verifying it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learn82
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to remote unix server using java?

I need help writing java code that can connect to a remote unix server, and run a script on that server. I have scoured the internet, but I have been unable to find proper documentation on how this can be accomplished. Any help is appreciated thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to UNIX server

Hi, My knowledge bucket of UNIX is almost empty. I have developed an application in EXCEL which can create XML files (Metadata) from Binaries. These binaries are stored in UNIX server on regular intervals. Currently I am transferring all binaries(GBs of files) to WINDOWS using WINSCP and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobs
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to multiple unix server from unix server using shell script

Hi Gurus, I'm a unix newbie and I would like to connect to multiple unix servers from unix server using shell script i.e from server a to server b,c,d etc. I want to copy the files from unix server a to server b, c, d. I can access staright using ssh without the need to have password and user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
5 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Error while connecting to MySQl Server 5.1.34 on UNIX platform.

Hi, I have MySQL 5.1.34 installed on Solaris and Linux machine. MySQl installed Solaris Machine - A.A.A.A Remote Machine - B.B.B.B I have user in mysql.user as below: | user | password | host |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_27
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to Unix server through Oracle

Hi, I need some help regarding oracle with unix script Actually i have a shell script and i want that it gets triggered through a oracle Db.I dont have any idea how is it done, even whether it is possible....pls help.....!!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

SAMBA is connecting to the share somehow as root

I'm running Solaris 10 with Samba server. The client is a Windows XP desktop. I have set this up for various other servers and this is the first time that I'm seeing the problem. I have a prod & test solaris samba server configured exactly the same and the share is encrypted by Vormetric. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: woot14
0 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Script that, if file exists in Samba share, moves file to Unix server

I'm looking to do pretty much what the title says. I want a script that runs, it can run on Unix or Windows, doesn't matter, and searches a Samba shares for a .txt file. If the file exists, the script will move (or possibly copy) the file from the Samba share into a directory on our Unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: twcostello
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Windows server from UNIX through script

I am trying to connect to a Windows server say 10.1.1.10. This servers has a folder named RAJ in which there are multiple .zip files. All these zip files contain a text file called XYZ.txt. Now i have to merge the content of these XYZ.txt files from each of the .zip file and create a new text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapniljadav
1 Replies
SMBSPOOL(8)						    System Administration tools 					       SMBSPOOL(8)

NAME
smbspool - send a print file to an SMB printer SYNOPSIS
smbspool {job} {user} {title} {copies} {options} [filename] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbspool is a very small print spooling program that sends a print file to an SMB printer. The command-line arguments are position-dependent for compatibility with the Common UNIX Printing System, but you can use smbspool with any printing system or from a program or script. DEVICE URI smbspool specifies the destination using a Uniform Resource Identifier ("URI") with a method of "smb". This string can take a number of forms: o smb://server[:port]/printer o smb://workgroup/server[:port]/printer o smb://username:password@server[:port]/printer o smb://username:password@workgroup/server[:port]/printer smbspool tries to get the URI from the environment variable DEVICE_URI. If DEVICE_URI is not present, smbspool will use argv[0] if that starts with "smb://" or argv[1] if that is not the case. Programs using the exec(2) functions can pass the URI in argv[0], while shell scripts must set the DEVICE_URI environment variable prior to running smbspool. OPTIONS
o The job argument (argv[1]) contains the job ID number and is presently not used by smbspool. o The user argument (argv[2]) contains the print user's name and is presently not used by smbspool. o The title argument (argv[3]) contains the job title string and is passed as the remote file name when sending the print job. o The copies argument (argv[4]) contains the number of copies to be printed of the named file. If no filename is provided then this argument is not used by smbspool. o The options argument (argv[5]) contains the print options in a single string and is currently not used by smbspool. o The filename argument (argv[6]) contains the name of the file to print. If this argument is not specified then the print file is read from the standard input. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8) and samba(7). AUTHOR
smbspool was written by Michael Sweet at Easy Software Products. The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBSPOOL(8)