Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add Multiple Lines in an existing file Post 302087679 by Balkrishna on Tuesday 5th of September 2006 12:34:07 AM
Old 09-05-2006
Use VI editor to do so. Open the existing file in vi editor and then press the key escape + i. copy those lines and pest it in the required location.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add a new column in an existing file

Hi guys, Please help me if u have some solution. I have a file with three columns separated by ':' - INPUT_FILE C416722_2 : calin Dirigent : Dirigent AC4174_6 : Jac : cal_co TC4260_5 : [no : lin kite BC426302_1 : [no : calin Dirigent lin JC426540_3 : lin Pymo_bin : calin TC428_3 : no7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert text between lines of an existing file using perl

Hi , I need some inputs on how to open a file (file.txt) and parse the text example aaa of the file and bbb of the file and add the text zzzz once i parse (aaa and bbb) and followed by the remaining of the text as it is in the file using perl programming. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add line with data to existing file

i have a file called motors with 3 columns separated with tabs eg: car make reg i want to create a executable file that will add a line with data eg: car make reg benz s600 t35778 can you please show me how to do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fletcher
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Add existing user into an existing group

Pre: no gpasswd/adduser there is just usermod can be used, also there is no -a option for usermod. How should I add a user into a group? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

How to add a data column in existing file

Hi All I need to add a column on my existing data file. I know similar posts are there but none of them were meeting my requirement. My input is 1.20 3.44 4.88 5.11 4.99 3.22 1.89 3.89 2.90 Desired output 1 1.20 3.44 4.88 2 5.11 4.99 3.22 3 1.89 3.89 2.90 I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahbub03
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with add existing file name as new data column in new output file

Input File 1 cat S1.txt MI0043 2731 miR-1 Input File 2 cat S4.txt MI006 310 CiR-1 MI057 10 CiR-24 MI750 5 CiR-24 Desired Output File 1 cat S1.txt.out MI0043 2731 miR-1 S1.txt Desired Output File 2 cat S4.txt.out MI006 310 CiR-1 S4.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write data into existing '.xlsx' file that has multiple sheets

Hello, I have a .xlsx file with 11 worksheets and I need to insert the contents of a text file (tab delim, roughly 30 columns with 1000 rows) from Row 3 onwards on the 2nd sheet. I have my code which can insert values into existing sheet but I am unable to write/import the contents of a text... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write data into existing '.xlsx' file that has multiple sheets

Hello, I have a .xlsx file with 11 worksheets and I need to insert the contents of a text file (tab delim, roughly 30 columns with 1000 rows) from Row 3 onwards on the 2nd sheet. I have my code which can insert values into existing sheet but I am unable to write/import the contents of a text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nans
1 Replies
gconf-editor(1) 						   User Commands						   gconf-editor(1)

NAME
gconf-editor - view and edit personal desktop configuration preferences SYNOPSIS
gconf-editor DESCRIPTION
The GConf Editor application enables you to view and edit all of your current personal desktop preferences. The GConf Editor window pro- vides a tree view to navigate through the hierarchy of preferences, an edit pane to make changes to individual preferences, and a descrip- tion pane to highlight the documentation associated with the currently selected preference. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
None. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching GConf Editor example% gconf-editor EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gconf-editor Executable for GConf Editor. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop System Administration Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 1 Oct 2003 gconf-editor(1)