Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming output string message to pipe Post 302085534 by Hitori on Friday 18th of August 2006 02:09:31 AM
Old 08-18-2006
If you already have a fifo file you don't have to do special things to write/read to/from this file. From the point of view of the process it is the ordinary file with write/read capabilities. If you want IPC you can at first create a pipe "in the memory" and use 2 descriptors to read/write.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pipe output of here-document!!

anybody can help, plz: I want to pass the output of "ls" to "grep": ftp -n host <<! USER user passwd ls bye ! | grep file exit 0 It does not work!! Any idea?? Sami (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sami98
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe output to two files

I am using grep and I want the output to go into two files without going to the screen. I used tee to get the output into two files, but it is also putting the output on the screen which i do not want. Can this be fixed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NobluesFDT
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe report output to another server

I have access to an AIX 5.3 box, where I need to write a report to: /tmp/report The report is larger then the amount of available disk space on the box. There's about 1 GB of free space, for a 1.5 GB report. The report is destined for another box (10.0.0.2) anyway, which has enough free... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirx
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way of using rm command on output of pipe

Hi, I am having a list of directories with different login id's. My requirement is that i need to list the directories of my id and need to delete them. So i am using following code ls -ltr ¦ grep userid ¦ rm -rf But this is not working. So is there any way of doing it. Please note... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe > output

I can use pipe output to a file. For example ./somescript.sh > output.txt But for example if the output from ./somescript.sh is slow. like if it prints one line every minute then output.txt is not updated every minute. Lines are written to output.txt in one go, hence have to wait for the whole... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevincobain2000
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using multiple pipe output

I have a script that finds all sffs and extracts them into .fastq file types. What I need to do is change the .fastq to .fasta using the below script. How can I change the input.fastq and output.fasta to mirror the file's name? Would I use an array and use the default iterator? #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe delimited output

Hi All, i have the following command df|awk '{print $5}'|grep /| egrep -v '^/$|/usr|/opt|/var/log|/home|/tmp' output looks like: /filesystem/number1 /filesystem/number2 /filesystem3 /possiblymoreoutput i want the output to look like the below (either in a file or to output to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe output missing date?

I'd like to have the output from this script piped to a text file that has the date at the beginning of it. For example, my ideal would be something like this $./run_script.sh $ls *.out 2013-Feb-26-output_filename.out Here's the code I'm using. #! /bin/ksh DAT=`date '+%Y-%b-%d'` for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coulering pipe output

I'm trying to get an output to echo on the next line in a given color and outputted next to a label. Sorry if that's a bit vague, see below. #!/bin/bash YELLOW=$(tput setaf 3 && tput bold) echo -n 'plaintext' | openssl md2 || read hash echo "$YELLOW Hash:$hash" But I can't seem to get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep:pipe delimited output

Hi, I am trying to search for a string in a file and print all the matched lines as pipe delimited format. My command is cat m_gid_trans.XML|grep -i '<TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"' The output I am getting is <TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)