Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming output string message to pipe Post 302085534 by Hitori on Friday 18th of August 2006 02:09:31 AM
Old 08-18-2006
If you already have a fifo file you don't have to do special things to write/read to/from this file. From the point of view of the process it is the ordinary file with write/read capabilities. If you want IPC you can at first create a pipe "in the memory" and use 2 descriptors to read/write.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pipe output of here-document!!

anybody can help, plz: I want to pass the output of "ls" to "grep": ftp -n host <<! USER user passwd ls bye ! | grep file exit 0 It does not work!! Any idea?? Sami (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sami98
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe output to two files

I am using grep and I want the output to go into two files without going to the screen. I used tee to get the output into two files, but it is also putting the output on the screen which i do not want. Can this be fixed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NobluesFDT
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe report output to another server

I have access to an AIX 5.3 box, where I need to write a report to: /tmp/report The report is larger then the amount of available disk space on the box. There's about 1 GB of free space, for a 1.5 GB report. The report is destined for another box (10.0.0.2) anyway, which has enough free... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirx
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way of using rm command on output of pipe

Hi, I am having a list of directories with different login id's. My requirement is that i need to list the directories of my id and need to delete them. So i am using following code ls -ltr ¦ grep userid ¦ rm -rf But this is not working. So is there any way of doing it. Please note... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe > output

I can use pipe output to a file. For example ./somescript.sh > output.txt But for example if the output from ./somescript.sh is slow. like if it prints one line every minute then output.txt is not updated every minute. Lines are written to output.txt in one go, hence have to wait for the whole... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevincobain2000
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using multiple pipe output

I have a script that finds all sffs and extracts them into .fastq file types. What I need to do is change the .fastq to .fasta using the below script. How can I change the input.fastq and output.fasta to mirror the file's name? Would I use an array and use the default iterator? #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe delimited output

Hi All, i have the following command df|awk '{print $5}'|grep /| egrep -v '^/$|/usr|/opt|/var/log|/home|/tmp' output looks like: /filesystem/number1 /filesystem/number2 /filesystem3 /possiblymoreoutput i want the output to look like the below (either in a file or to output to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe output missing date?

I'd like to have the output from this script piped to a text file that has the date at the beginning of it. For example, my ideal would be something like this $./run_script.sh $ls *.out 2013-Feb-26-output_filename.out Here's the code I'm using. #! /bin/ksh DAT=`date '+%Y-%b-%d'` for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coulering pipe output

I'm trying to get an output to echo on the next line in a given color and outputted next to a label. Sorry if that's a bit vague, see below. #!/bin/bash YELLOW=$(tput setaf 3 && tput bold) echo -n 'plaintext' | openssl md2 || read hash echo "$YELLOW Hash:$hash" But I can't seem to get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep:pipe delimited output

Hi, I am trying to search for a string in a file and print all the matched lines as pipe delimited format. My command is cat m_gid_trans.XML|grep -i '<TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"' The output I am getting is <TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies
DAR_SLAVE(1)						      General Commands Manual						      DAR_SLAVE(1)

NAME
dar_slave - disk archive slave for remote access to a dar archive SYNOPSIS
dar_slave [options] [<path>/]source dar_slave -h dar_slave -V DESCRIPTION
dar_slave reads an archive and listens for dar orders on standard input, sending asked parts of the archive on standard output. Source is the basename of the archive to read. By default, dar_slave uses standard input and output to communicate with a dar process, which may be running on the local host or on a remote host. It is possible to change the behavior of dar_slave to use named pipe instead of standard input and output OPTIONS
-h Displays help usage. -V Displays version information. -i <filename> reads the orders from the named file instead of standard input. In most cases the filename will be a named pipe. -o <filename> sends the data to the named file <filename> instead of standard output. In most cases the filename will be a named pipe. -E <string> string is a command to be launched between slices. See dar(1) man page (same option) for more information. -Q Do not display any message on stderr when not launched from a terminal (for example when launched from an at job or crontab). Remains that any question to the user will be assumed a 'no' answer, which most of the time will abort the program. -j when virtual memory is exhausted, as user to make room before trying to continue. By default, when memory is exhausted dar aborts. -; <num> Defines the minimum number of digits to use for archive slice numbers. See the same option in dar man page for more details. EXIT CODES
dar_slaves exists with the same codes as dar does, see dar(1) man page. SIGNALS
Any signal sent to dar_slave will abort the program immediately, there is no way to have a proper termination before the end of the process SEE ALSO
dar(1), dar_xform(1), dar_manager(1), dar_cp(1) KNOWN BUGS
None actually. AUTHOR
http://dar.linux.free.fr/ Denis Corbin France Europe 3rd Berkeley Distribution March 3rd, 2012 DAR_SLAVE(1)