Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SSH Compress Commands
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SSH Compress Commands Post 302084762 by kushti on Sunday 13th of August 2006 02:40:28 PM
Old 08-13-2006
SSH Compress Commands

I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction.

I hope I have the right forum but if not can a moderator move this thread to the right area.

I am moving servers and need to back up a folder and its sub folders into a .tar.gz file then want to upload that file to my new server and decompress it.

I have used SSH to depress my sql databases without a problem because I found the commands to do that but I am lost with with backing up and compressing a folder and sub folders to a .tar.gz - I am not even sure if this is possible?

Can any one help me on this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

compress & cpio commands

Our End of Day backup routine uses following script. start End-of-day compress $BASE TO /home/compdir write /home/compdir to DATTAPE end where $BASE=/home2/Rev83 DATATAPE=/dev/rmt/ctape1 write=cpio (not sure about parameters) since I'm new to UNIX, i dont know how to restore data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and commands

can someone point me to where it explains how to set the right commands wd ssh? cat something | while read h; do awk 'BEGIN {FS="\n"; RS=""; ORS="\n\n"} {if ($0~/'$h'/) print hdrvar,"\n",$0 }' /something/somedata ; done above works in when ssh'ing into linux machine invoke like this ssh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and unix commands

hello, when using ssh, ssh user@<host> do_collect_info.sh I have this error: do_collect_info.sh: ifconfig: not found the error does not appear when I run the sh script locally (no ssh) on the host and with the same user. any idea why? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

could not send commands SSH session with Net::SSH::Expect

I am using Net::SSH::Expect to connect to the device(iLO) with SSH. After the $ssh->login() I'm able to view the prompt, but not able to send any coommands. With the putty I can connect to the device and execute the commands without any issues. Here is the sample script my $ssh =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash commands to an 'ssh' within an ssh'

I've struggled to find a solution to this problem from searching so I thought I'd write a post to see what can be done. I'm attempting to connect and run commands on 'server2' but because of security limitations I cannot access it directly. I can however ssh into 'server1' and then into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcintosh.jamie
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh commands in Perl

I'm new to perl. I have a input file with pipe delimited lines which have server_name, and file names as fields. The file names have wild card (*) in the input feed file. The actual file names will be suffixed with timestamps. Ex: Actual files in remote servers server_1/abc_20110801.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bperl
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the difference between commands compress, pack and gzip

Are the above commands does the same job ? same functionaliy ? If so, why do we have three utilities for the same functinality. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

9. Programming

Using Commands over SSH using Sudo

Is there a way to transfer my sudo password via ssh so that I can copy files remotely and pass them locally, so: cat sudo-passwd-file|ssh -t user@10.7.0.180 'sudo find / -depth|cpio -oacv|gzip' > /path/to/dir/file.cpio.gz I am in the process of a creating a script. Everytime I try and just... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH + multiple commands

Sorry for the basic question here, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I want to alias a command that will ssh and then open up bbedit all in 1 command. alias bbb 'ssh NAME@SERVER bbedit' returns: bash: bbedit: command not found It returns this same thing for anything except... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdriver
1 Replies
SAMIZDAT-ROLE(1)					      General Commands Manual						  SAMIZDAT-ROLE(1)

NAME
samizdat-role - Samizdat role management SYNOPSIS
samizdat-role [ OPTIONS ] --list samizdat-role [ OPTIONS ] --grant MEMBER samizdat-role [ OPTIONS ] --revoke MEMBER DESCRIPTION
samizdat-role Allows to view, grant, and revoke member access to priviledged roles on a Samizdat site. OPTIONS
--site SITE Name of the Samizdat site (overrides SAMIZDAT_SITE environment variable). --role ROLE Name of a role, default is moderator. --grant MEMBER Grant ROLE priviledges to MEMBER. MEMBER may be specified as resource id or login name. NB: To grant or revoke priviledges using this command, you must use database superuser priviledges (in PostgreSQL, this is 'postgres'). --revoke MEMBER Revoke ROLE priviledges from MEMBER. MEMBER may be specified as resource id or login name. NB: To grant or revoke priviledges using this command, you must use database superuser priviledges (in PostgreSQL, this is 'postgres'). EXAMPLE
su postgres -c 'samizdat-role --site s1 --grant joe --role moderator --list' Grant moderator priviledges to the member 'joe' of site 's1' and list all moderators. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dmitry Borodaenko <angdraug@debian.org>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this doc- ument under the terms of the GNU GPL version 3 or later. SAMIZDAT-ROLE(1)