Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Select ALL in VI Editor
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Select ALL in VI Editor Post 302084330 by tmarikle on Thursday 10th of August 2006 12:12:44 PM
Old 08-10-2006
You can do it this way also, which doesn't require you to know the number of lines:

Code:
:%Y a

which yanks all lines into buffer a.

Then, when you want to paste, position your cursor where you want it and type this in (without being in command mode):

Paste below the cursor position:
Code:
"ap

or

Paste above the cursor position:
Code:
"aP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi editor

is vi editor the same for all versions of Unix???? I mean are the commands the same for say Solaris or BSD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to select Test in Vi Editor

Guys, file1 is 10pages long in vi. How to select the complete contents of the life. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aejaz
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

VI Editor

I need to delete a line of statement with vi editior in linux, i am using rm but won't work. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doyindayo
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

7. SCO

regarding vi editor

hello friends, i wud like to get some suggestion for a Q i faced in an interview.......... the Q is........... suppose a person is working on vi .the file is very large and he hasn't saved anything ........suddenly power goes off and system shuts down ...after power comes up the system is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

About vi editor

How can ` character be printed on vi editor ? empl_id=`echo $line | awk ' { print $1; } '` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

more than 1 vi editor

Hi, What's the process to open 2 vi editor at a same time. Plz let me know. Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply2soumya
5 Replies

10. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)