Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Untaring *.tar.tar files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Untaring *.tar.tar files Post 302083178 by bubeshj on Friday 4th of August 2006 01:15:09 PM
Old 08-04-2006
its a gzip compressedd file.Any suggestions on how to untar it.
Thanks,
Bubeshj

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.tar.tar files

I downloaded what I thought was a gziped file (at least on remote server it had a .gz extention) and once I had it it was filename.tar.tar..I tried the standard untar tar -xvf filename on it and get an error. Does anyone know what's going on? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: capeme
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Untaring the Tar files Script

I have written a below script to untar the tar files from /tmp/tarfiles/ directory. # cat /tmp/tarfiles/script.sh #!/bin/sh cd /tmp/tarfiles/ TFL="tar_files_list.txt" TCF="tar_completed_list.txt" ls -l *.tar | awk '{print $9}' > $TFL for i in `cat $TFL` do if then for j in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

9. AIX

Tar - pre-checking before making the Tar file

Coming from this thread, just wondering if there is an option to check if the Tar of the files/directory will be without any file-errors without actually making the tar. Scenario: Let's say you have a directory of 20GB, but you don't have the space to make Tar file at the moment, and you want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
14 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)