Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change to ksh shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change to ksh shell Post 302082870 by System Shock on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 12:16:30 PM
Old 08-03-2006
You change your login shell in /etc/passwd, not profile.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh parameter --- change

I am reading a file into a parameter in my program typeset nums_type if the contents of nums_type = asdfghbqwerty how do make a new paremeter eqaul to the 7th character of nums_type. like ${type} = b (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frank
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change the permissions of ksh?

Suppose, I want to execute unix commands. For that I have to go to ksh, but if I don't have execute permission to ksh itself then is there any way to change the permission of ksh? chmod command does not work for this because, I don't have permission to ksh itself... :) Let me know, if you have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponnuvel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change the default shell from bash to ksh

Currently my default shell is bash.How can i change itto ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to change passwd

Hello All, I am trying to change a user passwd (one time password): cat /tmp/passwd mnop1234 mnop1234 #passwd abcd < /tmp/passwd (for some reason, it is not able to input the password from /tmp/passwd and comes back with "New Password: ") Is there a work around except using "expect". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh behavior change on RHEL5

I recently patched a RHEL5 host from 5.2 to 5.5. There are some scripts that simply do a ps and grep to check for itself before proceeding. I personally don't like the way the scripts are written and would have done it differently. Before I can proceed with patching the production servers, I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwhitehd
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change values in Log4j.xml using ksh script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and shell scripting. I have to create a shell script(ksh) which parses log4j.xml file for a given webservice name and change the corresponding value from INFO to DEBUG or vice-versa. My log4j.xml looks like:- <!-- Appender WEBSERVICENAME--> <appender... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjeevcseng
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change output format using ksh

I have a script that reaches out to several systems and pulls back infomation in serveral files. I would like to take the infomation returned and reformat it so I can export it to excel. Below is current output: File1:item1:abc=1 File1:item2:efg File2:item1:ab=1 File2:item2:efg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with KSH Shell Script

From a shell script I'm trying to remove the first two files of whats returned from the head -2 command so I tried piping it to xargs rm -f but I can't get it to work. How do I remove the files from the head command? ls -al *clit* *servr* |sort -t_ -nk2 | head -2 |xargs rm -f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ".." to change directories in a ksh script

I have an issue driving me bonkers. I have a ksh script that requires changing directories. If a argument "TEST" is passed in, this is a regression test execution of the script (as opposed to production execution). I have a directory entitled "TEST" that is located three directory locations ABOVE... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe cipale
14 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)