Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change to ksh shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change to ksh shell Post 302082867 by irasela on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 11:40:39 AM
Old 08-03-2006
Change to ksh shell

Hi everyone:

Mi default shell is sh, i need to set the TMOUT variable so i need to change the shell to ksh, I change the /etc/profile file as follows, but when i do an echo $0 stll sh been the shell:

# more /etc/profile
#
# (c) Copyright 1990, OPEN SOFTWARE FOUNDATION, INC.
# ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
#
#
# OSF/1 Release 1.0

trap "" 2 3

export LOGNAME TERM

. /etc/TIMEZONE

# Login and -su shell get /etc/profile services.
# -rsh is given its environment in its .profile.
case "$0" in
-su )
export PATH
;;
-sh )
export PATH
;;
-ksh )
export PATH
;;
esac

umask 022
trap 2 3
SHELL=/bin/ksh
export SHELL
TMOUT=1800
export TMOUT
# echo $SHELL
/bin/ksh
# echo $0
-sh

What should I do to have ksh as my default shell?

Best regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh parameter --- change

I am reading a file into a parameter in my program typeset nums_type if the contents of nums_type = asdfghbqwerty how do make a new paremeter eqaul to the 7th character of nums_type. like ${type} = b (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frank
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change the permissions of ksh?

Suppose, I want to execute unix commands. For that I have to go to ksh, but if I don't have execute permission to ksh itself then is there any way to change the permission of ksh? chmod command does not work for this because, I don't have permission to ksh itself... :) Let me know, if you have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponnuvel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change the default shell from bash to ksh

Currently my default shell is bash.How can i change itto ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to change passwd

Hello All, I am trying to change a user passwd (one time password): cat /tmp/passwd mnop1234 mnop1234 #passwd abcd < /tmp/passwd (for some reason, it is not able to input the password from /tmp/passwd and comes back with "New Password: ") Is there a work around except using "expect". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh behavior change on RHEL5

I recently patched a RHEL5 host from 5.2 to 5.5. There are some scripts that simply do a ps and grep to check for itself before proceeding. I personally don't like the way the scripts are written and would have done it differently. Before I can proceed with patching the production servers, I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwhitehd
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change values in Log4j.xml using ksh script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and shell scripting. I have to create a shell script(ksh) which parses log4j.xml file for a given webservice name and change the corresponding value from INFO to DEBUG or vice-versa. My log4j.xml looks like:- <!-- Appender WEBSERVICENAME--> <appender... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjeevcseng
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change output format using ksh

I have a script that reaches out to several systems and pulls back infomation in serveral files. I would like to take the infomation returned and reformat it so I can export it to excel. Below is current output: File1:item1:abc=1 File1:item2:efg File2:item1:ab=1 File2:item2:efg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with KSH Shell Script

From a shell script I'm trying to remove the first two files of whats returned from the head -2 command so I tried piping it to xargs rm -f but I can't get it to work. How do I remove the files from the head command? ls -al *clit* *servr* |sort -t_ -nk2 | head -2 |xargs rm -f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ".." to change directories in a ksh script

I have an issue driving me bonkers. I have a ksh script that requires changing directories. If a argument "TEST" is passed in, this is a regression test execution of the script (as opposed to production execution). I have a directory entitled "TEST" that is located three directory locations ABOVE... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe cipale
14 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)