Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trim white spaces using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trim white spaces using awk Post 302081835 by mona on Friday 28th of July 2006 04:29:42 AM
Old 07-28-2006
Trim white spaces using awk

Hi,

I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk.

C,FOOTER , 00000642
C,FOOTER , 00000707
C, FOOTER, 42
C, FOOTER, 129

Code:
eval `awk -F,  ' /FOOTER/ {print "set RecordsFound=" $3} 
/HEADER/ { print "set FileBusinessDate=" $4} END{ print "set ActualRecords=" NR-2 }  ' ${SourceDir}/${FileCsv} `

Above is the command which is already present in production and this statement fails since the $3 has spaces in it. So far we didn't get any spaces in the CSV, so this statement was working fine for the past 1 year.

Is there any way to trim the spaces(both leading and trailing spaces) in AWK?

I tried gsub(/ /,"",$3) but it doesn't work

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks in Advance
Mohana

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TRIM spaces in shell

am get a value like ' 15' in a variable what is the easiest method i can follow to strip 15 out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to trim the white space around a string in C program

I am coding a C program to read a plain text file. There are a lot of blank fields or a string with white spaces. I want to know is there such a function called trim() in C to clean the white space around a string? Or some other way can do this efficiently? Thanks. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxm1303
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces and replacing value

Hi, I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor ~? ~ ~783.9 .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kelly woodburg ~nancy ~ ~? Now each row in the file has value for 7 columns with "~" as delimiter. The requirement was i)I need to erase the blank spaces between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

(g)awk how to preseve white spaces (FS characters) or read a right subpart of $0?

Hi, I am using gawk (--posix) for extracting some information from something like the following lines (in a text file): sms_snath_hp_C/CORE BUILD PREREQUISITE: total 1556 drwxrwxrwx 2 sn sn 4096 2008-06-27 08:31 ./ drwxrwxrwx 13 sn sn 4096 2009-07-22 14:48 ../ -rwxrwxrwx 1 sn sn ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shri_nath
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in unix for variable

HI Guys I have written a script using awk to split a file based on some identifier and renaming the file based on two values from specific length. ts a fixed width file. When I am trying to fetch the values a = substr($0,11,10) b = substr($0,21,5); i am getting spaces in a and b values .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - trim white space from a field / variable

Hi, Consider the data (FS = |): 1| England |end 2| New Zealand |end 3|Australia|end 4| Some Made Up Country |end 5| West Indies|end I want the output to be (i.e. without the leading and trailing white space from $2) England New Zealand Australia Some Made Up Country West... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim spaces

All, i am comparing the output of one command to a numberic if ] but my problem is the output of follwoing is but but has some leading columns. I don't have any problme in LINUX and HP-UX. But only in AIX i am getting the leading spaces. I have developed my script on LINUX but when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trim trailing spaces from file

I have a file like this. hari,corporationbank,2234356,syndicate ravi,indian bank,4567900000000,indianbank,accese raju,statebank of hyderabad,565866666666666,pause Here each record has different record length and there are blank spaces... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshari8888
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)