Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using sed to append text to the end of each line Post 302081480 by GT Premi on Tuesday 25th of July 2006 03:33:49 PM
Old 07-25-2006
Not quite sure what you're saying, but assuming you have a datafile that contains:

1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5

and you want it formatted as you've shown, you could do:
awk '{print $1, $2"\n"$3, $4, $5"\n\n"}' <datafile>

to get:
1 2
3 4 5

1 2
3 4 5
etc.

The above could also be accomplished with "awk '{printf}'".

I can't see the usefulness of adding tabs to the end of each line unless you plan to paste a file to this one, but you can do:
sed 's/$/[press TAB button here]/' datafile > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text at end of the first line in a file

Hi I need to append some text @ end of the first line in a file. like myfile.txt list = a,b,c list.a=some.. I give the arg "d" . now it append at end of first line list=a,b,c,d list.a=some... Please help me out this (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catgovind
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed : identify a pattern and append a word at the end of a line

Hello to all, On aix, I want to identify a term on a line in a file and then add a word at the end of the line identified. I do not want the word to be added when the line contains the symbol "#". I use the following command, but it deletes the term identified then adds the word. #sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of line on all lines

Hi, I've spent some time researching for this but can't seem to find a solution. I have a file like this 1234|Test|20101111|18:00|19:00There will be multiple lines in the file with the same kind of format. For every line I need to make it this 1234|Test|20101111|18:00|19:00||create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

append text from file1 to the end of each line in file2

hi; my file2.txt:portname=1;list=10.11;l- portname=2;list=10.12;l- portname=3;list=10.13;l- ... my file1.txt:;"{'sector=%27'}"\&> so; i want to see:portname=1;list=10.11;l-;"{'sector=%27'}"\&> portname=2;list=10.12;l-;"{'sector=%27'}"\&> portname=3;list=10.13;l-;"{'sector=%27'}"\&>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of every line

I've scoured the internet with mixed results. As an amateur I turn to the great minds here. I have a text file of 80 or so lines. I want to add ".pdf" to the end of each line. (For now that's it) Most of the internet points toward using "sed". I don't know coding but can figure things out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacebase
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to line if begins with pattern1 AND does not end with pattern2

Hello, I'm looking for sed solution to change ... <li>keyword</li> <li>keyword <li>keyword</li> <li>keyword <li>keyword</li> ... to ... <li>keyword</li> <li>keyword</li> <li>keyword</li> <li>keyword</li> <li>keyword</li> ... I.e., if lines beginning with <li> do not end with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED and Solaris Append line to the end of File does not work

Hello, I have to add a new line at the end of a File on Solaris-System: I think my script should be right, because I evaluated it to other threads. However the script does not what I am expected it should do. My file might look like this: Line1 Line2 Line3 And my script could... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timo_HR
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to append word at end of line

hello Team, I am looking for sed command or script which will append word at end of line. for example. I want to validate particular filesystem with mount |<filesystem name> command. if nodev parameter is not there then it should add in the fstab file with receptive to the filesystem. # mount... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
8 Replies
Xmark(1)						      General Commands Manual							  Xmark(1)

NAME
Xmark - summarize x11perf results SYNTAX
Xmark datafile DESCRIPTION
Xmark is a shell script that reads the indicated datafile and compiles a benchmark which it writes to standard output. It writes three numbers: A weighted performance number for the x11perf results. A weighted performance number for a standard SparcStation 1, with SunOS 4.1.2, X11R5 Xsun, and a CG3 dumb Color Frame Buffer. The Xmark, which is the ratio of the two numbers above. The datafile must be an ordinary file, produced by x11perf in the following way: x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXcopy GXxor -all > datafile It is possible to run the GXcopy and GXxor tests separately, as long as they are concatenated to the same output file: x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXcopy -all > datafile x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXxor -all >> datafile or x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXxor -all > datafile x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXcopy -all >> datafile FILES
temp.$$ Temporary file created in the current directory, deleted after use. DIAGNOSTICS
Usage: Xmark datafile Xmark was invoked without arguments or with more than one argument, or with options. Xmark takes no options. Error: data file does not exist or is not ordinary. Xmark cannot find the datafile named on its command line, or the datafile is a special file such as a directory. WARNING: datafile contains nnn, not 441 or 447 'trep' results; The file named on the command line does not seem to be a file generated by x11perf in the expected way. Diagnostic: ERROR: sum of weights =nnn, not equal to 4566.0; There is an internal error in Xmark. SEE ALSO
X(7x), x11perf(1), x11perfcomp(1) X Version 11 Release 6.6 Xmark(1)