Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash: testing if string is a number Post 302080591 by Doc_RuNNeR on Wednesday 19th of July 2006 05:57:48 PM
Old 07-19-2006
Below I write a code with tow output the first one is to numeric arguments and the second if it isnīt numeric
Code:
#!/bin/bash
if echo $1 | grep "^[0-9]*$">aux
then
  echo "La cadena es un valor numerico."
else
  echo "La cadena no es un valor numerico."
fi
rm aux

Enjoy that, and please correct my english Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the last character in a string

Hi In the shell scripted I'm trying to write! I would like to test the last character in a string. The string is a path/directory and I want to see if the last character is a '/'. The string (path/directory) is inputted by a user. If the '/' character isn't present then I want to be able to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number/string format in bash

I would like to change the format of an integer type number adding zeros to the left of it in a script in bash. For example number=1 echo $number 00001 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to format a number in bash

Say I have a number x=123, but I want to it be x=000123, because I need to use it in as a file name. thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aerosols
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing number in bash (number is in form of string)

I have a txt file as database. when i run my program what it does is it ask me for 3 name and stored in the file as name1:name2:name3:1 when u enter 3 name it add those in file as above format and add 1 at the end. I what i want is if i enter same names again it changes that 1 to 2 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for testing existence of files/folders and creating if neither exist

Hi, I am new to shell-scripting, and doing a lot of reading. I am having some trouble getting started with a simple testing of scripting. I have been experimenting with if, loops, for, test, etc., but still unsure. I seem to have the hang of it when it comes to creating a single file or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for non-zero length string

Hello, can someone please explain to me why this happens: myserver#echo "$nothing" myserver#if ; then echo "nothing is a zero length string"; fi nothing is a zero length string myserver#if ; then echo "nothing is also a non-zero length string, apparently"; fi nothing is also a non-zero... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: longjon
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing number in bash

I have the following code and getting the error ./raytrac.bash: line 231: ((: 0++: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "+") iarg = 0 iarg=0 narg=$# # Number of arguments passed. echo "narg = $narg" argsArr=("$@") # Set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the length of a string

Hello, Unix-Forums! Is there a command that can check how long a user-entered string is? Please don't give me a code, just the name of the command (playing around yourself is much more fun than just pasting code) edit: I'm sorry, first hit of the forum search gave me the answer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelinside
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)