Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting fl command - set record length Post 302080244 by aigles on Monday 17th of July 2006 09:46:48 AM
Old 07-17-2006
On my AIX box :
Code:
newform -l50 -a -b /foo > bar

and for all Unix with awk :
Code:
awk '{printf'"%-50.50s\n",$0)}' /foo > bar

Jean-Pierre.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixed record length

hello! I have a file with fixed record length... format: 123445asdfg 4343777 sfgg I wanna convert it to 123445,asdfg ,4343,777 ,sfgg is there any way to do it? sed/grep/awk?? at the moment I use sed -e 's_ \(\)_,\1_g' but it works only if there are spaces between... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check length of record

Hi, I have a problem, please help me, I have a flat file like this: P00000000088888888999999999 0000999903 000000000000000000 P00000000077777777000000000 0000999903 000000000000000000 P00000000044444444333333333 0000999903 00000000000000000079875 P00000000066666666111111111 0000999903 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file specifying record length

I've been searching high and low for this...but, maybe I'm just missing something. I have a file to be sorted that, unfortunately, contains binary data at the end of the line. As you may guess, this binary data may contain a newline character, which messes up the sort. I think I could resolve this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcagle
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Viewing a record of particular length

I have records with different lengths say 386, 387 and 388. Do i have any command to view all the records of the length 386 ? Please do advise. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record length

Hi, The record length may be differ in afile. I want to display the records if the record length is not equal to 50 using sed/awk command. Thanks in Advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NareshN
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verifying Record Length

Hi all, We are going through a total migration from AIX-based server framework to Linux-based servers. When I am testing *.sh and *.awk in a lower environments, it abends at the same step everytime in verifying the record length of the first row of the source file. I know this source file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoloXX
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)