Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to clear history
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to clear history Post 302080043 by gincemathew on Saturday 15th of July 2006 01:19:32 AM
Old 07-15-2006
Error how to clear history

Hi...

i have one doubt pls...

1)can we clear the command line history in UNIX for a paricular login(scadm/root)if so how?.
2) can we see the time at which command executed.

history is showing like :

100 display
101 lock
102 exit

Last edited by gincemathew; 07-16-2006 at 02:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clear passwd history without ...

how do I clear passwd history of a user without compromising the audit trail for security? in a nutshell, user abc wants to re-use his passwd ( he is not savvy with computers ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: A Stewart
4 Replies

2. Solaris

how to clear command history

hi Any one can help me. I am using Sun_Solaris. The command history set to 100 at .cshrc. I am unable to clear the command histoy. In Linux it is very easy by giving command history -c I could not find any such type command to clear the history. Is there any such type of command for solaris.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabir
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear history logs of all terminal sessions

Hi, I would normally clear off the history entries from a terminal by using the following commands: > ~/.bash_history history -c But this will remove the entries of that particular session only. How to prune all the entries of all login sessions for a particular user in a system? N.B:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to clear history in Linux

Hello All, Good Morning. I am trying to erase history list in my linux box, but my below command is failing. What is the actual way to clear it? > history clear -bash: history: clear: numeric argument required Also when I run my commands in my command prompt, my team lead can see my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to clear history in ksh?

I want to clear the history so that no one should be able to see what commands I gave in the AIX OS level. I tried using history -c , ~/.sh_history, but they aren't working :wall: Please tell me the command in ksh which can clear all the previous history? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear history in ksh

Hi Am using ksh shell I need to remove history of commands used.. I tried # rm .vi_history # touch .vi_history # chmod 600 .vi_history This didnt work.. I tried also # rm .sh_history # touch .sh_history # chmod 600 .sh_history (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to clear "history" command entries??

As in the title, how to clear the history entries? For eg: if i enter history, series of linux commands getting displayed from day 1. I need to clear those entries and want linux commands to be stored freshly. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
6 Replies
history(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							history(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
history - Manipulate the history list SYNOPSIS
history ?option? ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The history command performs one of several operations related to recently-executed commands recorded in a history list. Each of these recorded commands is referred to as an ``event''. When specifying an event to the history command, the following forms may be used: [1] A number: if positive, it refers to the event with that number (all events are numbered starting at 1). If the number is negative, it selects an event relative to the current event (-1 refers to the previous event, -2 to the one before that, and so on). Event 0 refers to the current event. [2] A string: selects the most recent event that matches the string. An event is considered to match the string either if the string is the same as the first characters of the event, or if the string matches the event in the sense of the string match command. The history command can take any of the following forms: history Same as history info, described below. history add command ?exec? Adds the command argument to the history list as a new event. If exec is specified (or abbreviated) then the command is also exe- cuted and its result is returned. If exec isn't specified then an empty string is returned as result. history change newValue ?event? Replaces the value recorded for an event with newValue. Event specifies the event to replace, and defaults to the current event (not event -1). This command is intended for use in commands that implement new forms of history substitution and wish to replace the current event (which invokes the substitution) with the command created through substitution. The return value is an empty string. history clear Erase the history list. The current keep limit is retained. The history event numbers are reset. history event ?event? Returns the value of the event given by event. Event defaults to -1. history info ?count? Returns a formatted string (intended for humans to read) giving the event number and contents for each of the events in the history list except the current event. If count is specified then only the most recent count events are returned. history keep ?count? This command may be used to change the size of the history list to count events. Initially, 20 events are retained in the history list. If count is not specified, the current keep limit is returned. history nextid Returns the number of the next event to be recorded in the history list. It is useful for things like printing the event number in command-line prompts. history redo ?event? Re-executes the command indicated by event and return its result. Event defaults to -1. This command results in history revision: see below for details. HISTORY REVISION
Pre-8.0 Tcl had a complex history revision mechanism. The current mechanism is more limited, and the old history operations substitute and words have been removed. (As a consolation, the clear operation was added.) The history option redo results in much simpler ``history revision''. When this option is invoked then the most recent event is modified to eliminate the history command and replace it with the result of the history command. If you want to redo an event without modifying history, then use the event operation to retrieve some event, and the add operation to add it to history and execute it. KEYWORDS
event, history, record Tcl history(n)