Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to delete all email messages at ONE time? Post 302079874 by bobo on Thursday 13th of July 2006 10:48:04 AM
Old 07-13-2006
Data How to delete all email messages at ONE time?

These are some of the mail command:

Usage:
? print this help message
# display message number #
- print previous
+ next (no delete)
! cmd execute cmd
<CR> next (no delete)
a position at and read newly arrived mail
d [#] delete message # (default current message)
dp delete current message and print the next
dq delete current message and exit
h a display all headers
h d display headers of letters scheduled for deletion
h [#] display headers around # (default current message)
m user mail (and delete) current message to user
n next (no delete)
p print (override any warnings of binary content)
P override default 'brief' mode and display ALL header lines
q, ^D quit
r [args] reply to (and delete) current letter via mail [args]
s [files] save (and delete) current message (default mbox)
u [#] undelete message # (default current message)
w [files] save (and delete) current message without header
x exit without changing mail
y [files] save (and delete) current message (default mbox)

Is there 1 command to delete all your email?

THANKS!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do we delete spam email on mmdf

Please advise on how to delete spam email from mmdf email, and The Unix spec below: System = SCO_SV Release = 3.2v5.0.5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete All email

If I have thousands of email to delete on the mail server POP3, is there a quick way to delete it all in one command instead of going into pine and deleting them one at a time?:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foothillnet
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to delete email addresses

I need to delete old email addresses and can't them them out of my address I have a dell and am served by MSN? (Email address removed... Neo) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deede
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete old email addresses?

Help! Need to delete old email addresses from address book on Dell Windows 98............. -------- The subject line was one long string - I inserted spaces - oombera (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deede
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron to delete email help needed

I would like to know if I can place a cron job (and what it might be of course) to delete all the mail in an inbox? Here are the servers specs: Operating systemLinuxService StatusClick to ViewKernel version2.6.28.9Machine Typei686Apache version2.2.11 (Unix)PERL version5.8.8Path to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markmatu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp, archive, email and delete from shell script

Hello, I found the forum’s information very helpful and informative. I am relatively new to UNIX programming. I am researching how to write a UNIX shell script to ftp all files from specific host folder to a client server. Also need to archive all transferred files, send a message (email) if any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Delete email recd

Hello All, For many users, .forward file has been created to forward the emails from UNIX (SUN 5.8) to Exhcnage server. Is there any way to delete the email as soon as it comes to the mailbox on UNIX (without the same being forwarded to the Exchange Server)? Thanks! suismilyadon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suismilyadon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sent output to email and empty folder at same time

Hi all, i want to sent output to email and folder at same time. This is my code : echo "Hello" | mailx -s "${SUBJECT}" "${email_add}" >> ${file} I only can sent output to my email but cannot sent to my empty folder....can i know how to done it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proghack
1 Replies

9. Debian

sendmail taking too much time to send a email

Hi , I'm using sendmail command to send a email. To send a email sendmail taking 3minutes to complete the process. Is there any configuration needs to be done in server or another solution is there to resolve this issue. Thanks in Advance. Regards Latika (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: latika
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

MAILX too much time to send email

Hello, I am using heirloom-mailx on UBUNTU 11.04 to create a bash script that sends an e-mail with an attachment. The command invoked is : echo $BODY | mailx -v \ -S smtp=smtps://$smtpmailserver:465 \ -S from=$MITTENTE \ -S ssl-verify=ignore \ -S smtp-auth=login \ -S smtp-auth-user=$USER \... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: occhiverdi1987
8 Replies
whatnow(1)						      General Commands Manual							whatnow(1)

NAME
whatnow - prompting front-end for send (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
whatnow [options] [file] OPTIONS
Specifies the folder in which whatnow searches for the draft message. By default, the current message in the named folder is used. If you wish to specify another message, use the -draftmessage option. For more information on using a draft folder, see comp(1). The -draftfolder option can be set up in your user profile; see mh_profile(4) for more information. Specifies the draft message to be used. If you specify a folder with the -draftfolder option, the -draftmessage option takes the number of a message in that folder. If you do not specify a folder, -draftmessage takes the name of a file. If you do not give an absolute pathname (one beginning with a / or or ), -draftmessage assumes that the file is located in your Mail directory. (This is different from the file argument to whatnow, which assumes that the file you name is in your current working directory.) Specifies the name of the editor you want to use to edit the draft message. Any legal edi- tor can be specified. This option is used only if you select the edit response to the What now? prompt. Prints a list of the valid options for this command. Prevents the initial invocation of an editor when an MH command is run. Normally, when you enter an MH command such as comp, dist, forw, or repl, the whatnow program is called to start the initial edit of the draft message. If you add this option to the whatnow entry in your is disabled. This is a convenient way of disabling this edit for all MH commands, rather than adding the -noedit entry to the entries for the individual commands in Specifies the prompt used by whatnow. The prompt you receive when you invoke whatnow can be specified as a string with this option. If the prompt contains spaces, you must enclose the entire string in double quotes (" "). The default prompt is What now? DESCRIPTION
After you have finished editing a draft message in comp, dist, forw or repl, the whatnow program prompts you for the next required action. Press <Return> at the What now? prompt to see a list of the available responses. These responses are: display [options] edit [editor] [options] list [options] push [options] quit [-delete] refile [option] +folder send [options] whom [options] For more information on the options available with these commands, see the following reference pages: refile(1), send(1), whom(1). Use display if you have been using repl or dist and want to see the original message. Use edit if you want to continue editing the draft. Use list to display the draft message. If you use push, send operates in the background and frees your terminal while the message is being sent. Use quit to exit from whatnow and to save the draft message. The -delete option to quit will exit from whatnow and delete the draft mes- sage. Use refile +folder to refile the draft message in a specified folder. The send response will cause the message to be delivered. Use whom to find out who will receive the mail when it is sent. Unless the -noedit option is given, the editor starts when whatnow is invoked. For the edit response, you can specify an editor if you wish to override the editor specified in your file. If you specify an editor with the edit response, any valid option to the editor is valid. Similarly, for the send and whom responses, any valid option to send and whom commands, respectively, are valid. For the push response, use any valid option to send. MH invokes send with the -push option. For the refile response, any valid option to the fileproc is valid. The fileproc is the element of your mail profile which defines the pro- gram used to refile messages in another folder. For more information, see mh_profile(4). For the display and list responses, any valid argument to the lproc is valid. If any non-option arguments are present, then the pathname of the draft is excluded from the argument list given to the lproc (this is useful for listing another MH message). The lproc is the element in your mail profile which defines the program used to display draft messages on your screen. For more information, see mh_profile(4). See mh_profile(4) for further information about how editors are used by MH. It also describes lproc and fileproc and shows how complex variables can be used to direct the actions performed by whatnow. Although whatnow is usually invoked by other commands, you can use it as a separate command. You can run whatnow on a named file by speci- fying the file as the file argument. If you do not give an absolute pathname (one beginning with a / or or ), whatnow assumes that the named file is in your current working directory. If you want to run whatnow on an existing message, use the -draftfolder and -draftmessage options. RESTRICTIONS
If the sendproc entry in your is send, whatnow uses a built-in program rather than running the regular send. If you define your own send- proc program, you should not call it send, as whatnow will not run it. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory Draft-Folder: To find the default draft folder Editor: To override the default editor lasteditor-next: To name an editor to be used after exit from lasteditor fileproc: Program to refile the message lproc: Program to list the contents of a message sendproc: Program to send the message whomproc: Program to determine who a message would go to EXAMPLES
In the following example, whatnow takes the current message in the folder +drafts, and asks what you want to do with it: % whatnow -draft- folder +drafts What now? In the following example, whatnow takes message 6 from the folder +drafts: % whatnow -draftfolder +drafts -draftmessage 6 What now? The following example sets the prompt to be Now What?: % whatnow -prompt "Now What?" Now what? FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
comp(1), send(1), whom(1) whatnow(1)