Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Solaris Disaster Recovery Plan ... Post 302078921 by PGChi on Wednesday 5th of July 2006 11:39:10 AM
Old 07-05-2006
Flar Check

OK, so I have the flar archive from the system and at the time of creation I got a couple of errors like cpio: "var/vx/isis/vea_portal" ? and these files have a sticky bit
ls -l /var/vx/isis/vea_portal
srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Mar 10 14:16 /var/vx/isis/vea_portal

but besides that I do think I have a flar archive. How do I restore it somewhere and check it's authenticity now?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Please Tell Me About Disaster Recovery

please tell me if this thinkin is correct, if not, please corret me: disaster recovery means when something bad happens and you need to retrieved a backed up file, all you have to do is cd into the tape drive and then look for the file you want and extract it from the drive. is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disaster Recovery

Can anyone tell me of what to expect? I've been nominated to join a team of unix admins to do a DR testing. we already have the guys who are gono be doing the restores. besides the restore, anybody know what else to look forward to?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disaster recovery

I am looking into disaster recovery and I wanted to know what files and/or other information do I need to keep copies of to sucessfully restore my system from the ground up..... Any help is greatly appreciated. I am running Solaris 8 on an Ultra 60. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rod23
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Disaster Recovery

Recovering Solaris to an alternate server I was just wondering if anyone could give me some points on restoring a Solaris 9 backup to an alternate server. Basically, we use netbackup 6 and I was wondering what the best procedures are for doing this? What things do we need to take into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron2k
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 8 using Flash Archive for Disaster Recovery

Hello everyone I am Kevin and new to this forum. I have encounter an issue I can't seem to resolve. I am currently using Solaris 8 02/04 on Sun V240 servers. I know how to create a flar image of the server and restore it using NFS (network server) or Local Tape (tape drive). What I need to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disaster Recovery - Help needed

We have a SCO OpenServer Unix server that has been damaged. Fortunately we have a good backup of the entire system (using BackupEdge.) On a new server, if we install SCO from original SCO CD's (we have all necessary activation codes) then drop the tape (we can restore with tar), will the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun M5000 servers diaster recovery plan

Hi, We have two Sun M5000 systems. A is Oracle server and B is testing server. There are nine Solaris 10 zones set on A. SAN is connecting to A with ZFS configuration. Now we want to set B to be a backup server of A and make the two as identical as possible. No VERITAS cluster, no Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Disaster Recovery

Hi, I just want to throw something out there for opinions and viewpoints relating to a Disaster Recovery site. Besides the live production environment, do you think a DR environment should include: - pre-production environment - QA Environment ......or would this be considered to be OTT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
3 Replies
flarcreate(1M)															    flarcreate(1M)

NAME
flarcreate - create a flash archive from a master system SYNOPSIS
flarcreate -n name [-R root] [-A system_image] [-H] [-I] [-M] [-S] [-c] [-t [-p posn] [-b blocksize]] [-i date] [-u section...] [-m master] [-f [filelist | -] [-F]] [-a author] [-e descr | -E descr_file] [-T type] [-U key=value...] [-x exclude...] [-y include...] [-z filelist...] [-X filelist...] archive The flarcreate command creates a flash archive from a master system. A master system is one that contains a reference configuration, which is a particular configuration of the Solaris operating environment, plus optional other software. A flash archive is an easily trans- portable version of the reference configuration. In flash terminology, a system on which an archive is created is called a master. The system image stored in the archive is deployed to systems that are called clones. There are two types of flash archives: full and differential. A full archive contains all the files that are in a system image. A differen- tial archive contains only differences between two system images. Installation of a differential archive is faster and consumes fewer resources than installation of a full archive. In creating a differential archive, you compare two system images. A system image can be any of: o a Live Upgrade boot environment, mounted on some directory using lumount(1M) (see live_upgrade(5)) o a clone system mounted over NFS with root permissions o a full flash archive expanded into some local directory To explain the creation of a differential flash archive, the following terminology is used: old The image prior to upgrade or other modification. This is likely the image as it was installed on clone systems. new The old image, plus possible additions or changes and minus possible deletions. This is likely the image you want to duplicate on clone systems. The flarcreate command compares old and new, creating a differential archive as follows: o files on new that are not in old are added to the archive; o files of the same name that are different between old and new are taken from new and added to the archive; o files that are in old and not in new are put in list of files to be deleted when the differential archive is installed on clone sys- tems. When creating a differential flash archive, the currently running image is, by default, the new image and a second image, specified with the -A option, is the old image. You can use the -R option to designate an image other than the currently running system as the new image. These options are described below. Following creation of a flash archive, you can use JumpStart to clone the archive on multiple systems. You can run flarcreate in multi- or single-user mode. You can also use the command when the master system is booted from the first Solaris software CD or from a Solaris net image. Archive creation should be performed when the master system is in as stable a state as possible. Following archive creation, use the flar(1M) command to administer a flash archive. See flash_archive(4) for a description of the flash archive. The flarcreate command requires root privileges. The flarcreate command has one required argument: -n name Specifies the name of the flash archive. name is supplied as the value of the content_name keyword. See flash_ar- chive(4). The flarcreate command has the following general options: -A system_image Create a differential flash archive by comparing a new system image (see ) with the image specified by the sys- tem_image argument. By default, the new system image is the currently running system. You can change the default with the -R option, described below. system_image is a directory containing an image. It can be accessible through UFS, NFS, or lumount(1M). The rules for inclusion and exclusion of files in a differential archive are described in . You can modify the effect of these rules with the use of the -x, -X, -y, and -z options, described below. -c Compress the archive using compress(1) -f filelist Use the contents of filelist as a list of files to include in the archive. The files are included in addition to the normal file list, unless -F is specified (see below). If filelist is -, the list is taken from standard input. -F Include only files in the list specified by -f. This option makes -f filelist an absolute list, rather than a list that is appended to the normal file list. -H Do not generate hash identifier. -I Ignore integrity check. To prevent you from excluding important system files from an archive, flarcreate runs an integrity check. This check examines all files registered in a system package database and stops archive creation if any of them are excluded. Use this option to override this integrity check. -M Used only when you are creating a differential flash archive. When creating a differential archive, flarcreate cre- ates a long list of the files in the system that remain the same, are changed, and are to be deleted on clone sys- tems. This list is stored in the manifest section of the archive (see flash_archive(4)). When the differential ar- chive is deployed, the flash software uses this list to perform a file-by-file check, ensuring the integrity of the clone system. Use of this option to avoids such a check and saves the space used by the manifest section in a dif- ferential archive. However, you must weigh the savings in time and disk space against the loss of an integrity check upon deployment. Because of this loss, use of this option is not recommended. -R root Create the archive from the file system tree rooted at root. If you do not specify this option, flarcreate creates an archive from a file system rooted at /. Note - The root file system of any non-global zones must not be referenced with the -R option. Doing so might dam- age the global zone's file system, might compromise the security of the global zone, and might damage the non-global zone's file system. See zones(5). -S Skip the disk space check and do not write archive size data to the archive. Without -S, flarcreate builds a com- pressed archive in memory before writing the archive to disk, to determine the size of the archive. This size information is written to the header of the archive in the files_archived_size field and is used during archive deployment on the client to ensure enough disk space is available on the client. Use -S to skip this step. The result of the use of -S is a significant decrease in the time it takes to create an archive. -U key=value... Include the user-defined keyword(s) and values in the archive identification section. -x exclude... Exclude the file or directory exclude from the archive. Note that the exclude file or directory is assumed to be relative to the alternate root specified using -R. If the parent directory of the file exclude is included with the -y option (see -y include), then only the specific file or directory specified by exclude is excluded. Conversely, if the parent directory of an included file is specified for exclusion, then only the file include is included. For example, if you specify: -x /a -y /a/b all of /a except for /a/b is excluded. If you specify: -y /a -x /a/b all of /a except for /a/b is included. -y include... Include the file or directory include in the archive. Note that the exclude file or directory is assumed to be rel- ative to the alternate root specified using -R. See the description of the -x option, above, for a description of the interaction of the -x and -y options. -X filelist... Use the contents of filelist as a list of files to exclude from the archive. If filelist is -, the list is taken from standard input. -z filelist... filelist is a list of files prefixed with a plus (+) or minus (-). A plus indicates that a file should be included in the archive; the minus indicates exclusion. If filelist is -, the list is taken from standard input. Use the following option with user-defined sections. -u section... Include the user-defined section located in the file section in the archive. section must be a blank-separated list of section names as described in flash_archive(4). Use the following options with tape archives. -b blocksize The block size to be used when creating the archive. If not specified, a default block size of 64K is used. -p posn Used only with -t. Specifies the position on the tape device where the archive should be created. If not specified, the current position of the tape device is used. -t Create an archive on a tape device. The archive operand (see ) is assumed to be the name of the tape device. The following options are used for archive identification. -a author author is used to provide an author name for the archive identification section. If you do not specify -a, no author name is included in the identification section. -e descr The description to be included in the archive as the value of the content_description archive identification key. This option is incompatible with -E. -E descr_file The description to be used as the value of the archive identification content_description key is retrieved from the file descr_file. This option is incompatible with -e. -i date By default, the value for the creation_date field in the identification section is generated automatically, based on the current system time and date. If you specify the -i option, date is used instead. -m master By default, the value for the creation_master field in the identification section is the name of the system on which you run flarcreate, as reported by uname -n. If you specify -m, master is used instead. -T type Content type included in the archive as the value of the content_type archive identification key. If you do not specify -T, the content_type keyword is not included. The following operand is supported: archive Path to tape device if the -t option was used. Otherwise, the complete path name of a flash archive. By convention, a file containing a flash archive has a file extension of .flar. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWinst | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ flar(1M), flash_archive(4), attributes(5) 6 Apr 2005 flarcreate(1M)