Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut command Post 302078744 by annelisa on Tuesday 4th of July 2006 09:49:23 AM
Old 07-04-2006
seems not working

a=TEXT_TEXT_XP_4.3.2A ( I'd like to extract 4.3.2A )

I'm typing :
echo $a |cut -f2 -d XP_

and error is cut:invalid delimiter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUT Command

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can apply multiple cut on a single variable like below in a sh script: tmp=`cut -c 1-4 $val` tmp1=`cut -c 5-12 $val` tmp2=`cut -c 13-18 $val` If not, what is the other way to do this. Thanks and Best Regards Shoeb (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command help

Hi , I am new to Unix.I have a shell script whenere I wnat to find if a particular server is running and kill all the instances of it (running on different ports) script filename to start the srever is say abcd If i do ps -eaf | grep abc I get all the instances of srever running .In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shradham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Use of Cut Command

Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to use cut command?I have tried but its not working...Please find the details below : $ cat file1 SlNo. E_ID E_Name Age Dept 1 123 A 20 Electrical 2 124 B 20 Electronics 3 125 C 24 Computer 4 126 D 23 Mechanical ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puja Sharma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command help

n2=user1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 Now i want to split this string with space(' ') character. After splitting output would be: use1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 I did: nn=${n2} | cut -d ' ' -f2 echo ${nn} It prints nothing. I want the output: pts/3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

7. AIX

Need help on cut command

HI, i have data in one variable like out=/usr/sbin/filename and i want output like only out=filename how to do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi All, I am a beginner learning shell script, Would it be possible to use -c and -f in cut command together ? Example : /opt/oracle/work/Antony/Shell_Script> cat shortlist 2233|a.k. shukula |g.m. |sales2 |12/12/52 |6000 1006|chanchal singhvi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)