Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar command
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tar command Post 302078367 by satimis on Thursday 29th of June 2006 10:13:33 PM
Old 06-29-2006
Hi prashant_kr2002,

Quote:
you can use the -u option which will update the existing archive and add new contents to it if doesn't exists.
Tks for your advice. I made following test to update a compressed backup tarball;

# tar jcupf FC5_64_20060629.tar.bz2 / --exclude=/proc --exclude=/home --exclude=/media --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp --exclude=lost+found --exclude=/FC5_64_20060629.tar.bz2
Code:
tar: You may not specify more than one `-Acdtrux' option
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

# tar jupf FC5_64_20060629.tar.bz2 / --exclude=/proc --exclude=/home --exclude=/media --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp --exclude=lost+found --exclude=/FC5_64_20060629.tar.bz2
Code:
tar: Cannot update compressed archives
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

I can't resolve figuring out the correct syntax. Could you please shed me some light.

Besides how to read the the top level directories without decompressing the compressed tarball. The "t" option will read all files. TIA

B.R.
satimis

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help with tar command

I'm new to the unix environment. I need to find out what parameters I need to use to save directory structure and the files underneath this directory AND how to restore this directory structure on another unix machine. Please Help :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar command

I want to tar multiple folder from a environment but exclude 2 folders among them. How can I do that. Is there any exclude option in tar command. Please co-operate me. Thanking you, Chandrakant. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: get_chandrakant
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command

Hi all, Can anyone please say me what exactly a 'tar' command does? From what all I know, its not basically a compression tool. But I have seen many used it for compression purpose. If you have any links or any stuff which can help me better understand about 'tar', that will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on tar command

Hi, I am using the following DOS command to tar my .gz file from the command prompt C:\tar\bin>tar -cf test.tar D:\Coim\*.gz but this creates a tar file under the path C:\tar\bin\test.tar but i want the tar file to be created under D:\Coim\test.tar Is there any option in tar command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command Help

Is it possible to untar a file so it's size reduces while it uncompresses its contents. I have limited space on my mount point and was wondering if we can untar as a stream in other words the size of tarball reduces as it uncompresses the contents. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies
tar.h(3HEAD)                                                          Headers                                                         tar.h(3HEAD)

NAME
tar.h, tar - extended tar definitions SYNOPSIS
#include <tar.h> DESCRIPTION
The <tar.h> header defines header block definitions as follows. Name Description Value TMAGIC "ustar" ustar plus null byte TMAGLEN 6 length of the above TVERSION "00" 00 without a null byte TVERSLEN 2 length of the above Typeflag field definitions: Name Description Value REGTYPE '0' regular file AREGTYPE '' regular file LNKTYPE '1' link SYMTYPE '2' symbolic link CHRTYPE '3' character special BLKTYPE '4' block special DIRTYPE '5' directory FIFOTYPE '6' FIFO special CONTTYPE '7' reserved Mode field bit definitions (octal): Name Description Value TSUID 04000 set UID on execution TSGID 02000 set GID on execution TSVTX 01000 on directories, restricted deletion flag TUREAD 00400 read by owner TUWRITE 00200 write by owner special TUEXEC 00100 execute/search by owner TGREAD 00040 read by group TGWRITE 00020 write by group TGEXEC 00010 execute/search by group TOREAD 00004 read by other TOWRITE 00002 write by other TOEXEC 00001 execute/search by other ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pax(1), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 tar.h(3HEAD)