Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert date format YYYYMMDD to MM/DD/YYYY Post 302076470 by tayyabq8 on Tuesday 13th of June 2006 10:42:06 AM
Old 06-13-2006
OFS is Output Field Separator, I don't know the internal technicle details of awk though I can imagine that awk puts each print command in a stack like
Code:
print substr($1,5,2)
print substr($1,7,2)
print substr($1,1,4)

and then separates each output of print with an OFS if defined, default OFS is " " a whitespace. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Tayyab

Last edited by tayyabq8; 06-13-2006 at 11:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to convert the string YYYYMMDD into YYYY.MM.DD

how to convert the string YYYYMMDD into YYYY.MM.DD Please advice (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spatra
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format date from MM/DD/YYYY to YYYYMMDD

I have a file with some date columns in MM/DD/YYYY format: SMPBR|DUP-DO NOT USE|NEW YORK||16105|BA5270715|6/6/2007 |MWERNER|109||||JOHN||SMITH|MD|72211118||||||74559|21 WILMINGTON RD||D|11/6/2003|SL# MD CONTACT-LIZ RICHARDS|||0|Y|N||1411458| And I want to convert the date format to: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL String to Date (Custom format yyyymmdd to dd-mon-yyyy)

Hi All, I am learning PERL for one of the projects, and in one of these scripts, I read a flat text file and print in the terminal. The problem is, the text file has a date field. The format is yyyymmdd. I need to display this as dd-mon-yyyy. Any ideas to do this? Thanks a lot for the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY

Hi , I need to convert date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY e.g 20111214 to 14-Dec-2011 Please help. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert any date format into yyyy/mm/dd

How can I convert any user inputted date into yyyy/mm/dd ? For example user can input date one of the following 20120121 , 2012-01-21 ,01/21/2012,01/21/2012 etc But I need to convert any of the date entered by user into yyyy/mm/dd (2012/01/2012). Any suggestion. Thanks in advance this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZeroHedge
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date column as yyyy/mm/dd format

Hi All, I have file like “April 10, 2013”,”raj” “April 29, 2013”,”raj1” Output : “2013/04/10”,”raj” “2013/04/29”,”raj1” Please help me how to do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date in dd mm yyyy format to UNIX timestamp

Hello All, I have a date in DD/MM/YYYY format. I am trying to convert this into unix timestamp. I have tried following: date -d $mydate +%s where mydate = 23/12/2016 00:00:00 I am getting following error: date: extra operand `+%s' Try `date --help' for more information. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angshuman
1 Replies

8. Programming

Date format change from mm/dd/yyyy to yyyymmdd in comma seperate line in perl

Hi All, I have line ,A,FDRM0002,12/21/2017,,0.961751583,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it contains date in mm/dd/yyyy format i want to change this to yyyymmdd format using perl. Use code tags, thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishal0746
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string (YYYYMMDD) format to date in Sun OS

Hi All I need help in converting a string of YYYYMMDD format to date in Sun OS and then find out if the day is a Wednesday or not. The "date -d" option is not working and your help is much appreciated. The date command usage from the operating system we use here is as follows: usage: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SK123
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Convert string (YYYYMMDD) format to date in Sun OS

Hi All I need help in converting a string of YYYYMMDD format to date in Sun OS and then find out if the day is a Wednesday or not. The "date -d" option is not working and your help is much appreciated. The date command usage from the operating system we use here is as follows: Thanks, SK (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SK123
11 Replies
Data::FormValidator::Constraints::Dates(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	      Data::FormValidator::Constraints::Dates(3pm)

NAME
Data::FormValidator::Constraints::Dates - Validate Dates and Times SYNOPSIS
use Data::FormValidator::Constraints::Dates qw(date_and_time); # In a DFV profile... constraint_methods => { # 'pp' denotes AM|PM for 12 hour representation my_time_field => date_and_time('MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss pp'), } DESCRIPTION
date_and_time Note: This is a new module is a new addition to Data::FormValidator and is should be considered "Beta". This constraint creates a regular expression based on the format string passed in to validate your date against. It understands the following symbols: Y year (numeric) M month (numeric) D day (numeric) h hour m minute s second p AM|PM Other parts of the string become part of the regular expression, so you can do perlish things like this to create more complex expressions: 'MM?/DD?/YYYY|YYYY-MM?-DD?' Internally Date::Calc is used to test the functions. BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
This older, more awkward interface is supported: # In a Data::FormValidator Profile: validator_packages => [qw(Data::FormValidator::Constraints::Dates)], constraints => { date_and_time_field => { constraint_method => 'date_and_time', params=>['MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss pp'], # 'pp' denotes AM|PM for 12 hour representation }, } SEE ALSO
o Data::FormValidator o Data::FormValidator::Constraints::DateTime - This alternative features returning dates as DateTime objects and validating against the date formats required for the MySQL and PostgreSQL databases. AUTHOR
Mark Stosberg, <mark@summersault.com> Featuring clever code by Jan Krynicky. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2003-2005 by Mark Stosberg This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-25 Data::FormValidator::Constraints::Dates(3pm)