Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The > symbol
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The > symbol Post 302076466 by thestevew on Tuesday 13th of June 2006 10:23:19 AM
Old 06-13-2006
The > is the default UNIX secondary prompt (held in the $PS2 environment variable, so you can change it for the current logon session with PS2="anythingyoulike ") and shows that the last command line was incomplete, often because of unclosed quotes
e.g.
Code:
$ print "hello
> world"
$

or you are entering a multi-line command
Code:
$ for a in x y
> do
> print $a
> done
x
y
$

To get back to normal finish the command or terminate it (control-c)

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unresolved symbol ???

when I make ncftp 111.111.1.2 I just get problems like ... /usr/lib/dld.sl unresolved symbol:inet_ntop (code) does anybody know what is the problem and how to solve this? thx.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svennie
2 Replies

2. Programming

no symbol table

Hi@all, I try to compile c code on hpux 11.11 pa-risc 2 with gcc (32bit). I compile with the option -g, so that I get the symbol table, but it is not available. Does someone knows something on this? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dom_Cyrus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append with TM symbol

I have a file with delimiter ";" and 2 columns for eg: Transparent; ScotchPro™ If you see carefully you can see a special character "TM" at the end of data which is not showing up when I read the data in a regular sequential file. Did anyone anytime tackle this kind of Data. Please advice.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
1 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbol reference

Hi, test -d .ssh || mkdir .ssh && chmod 700 .ssh The command has couple of symbols, could someone redirect me to the link, where i can understand their significance. Thanks, John (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john_prince
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Words after / symbol

Hi, I have the following directory: /home/dragon/websphere/cells/profile/imp/001/ I want to put this in a shell script and get the values before and after cells by removing the '/' Any idea how to make this possible? Regards, Dinesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

caret symbol

Hi! I need to know where is the caret symbol (^) on the keyboard. I press Shift+6 and does not appear!! Thank you very much. Removed email address - all should benefit of an answer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: labultet
1 Replies

8. Programming

Undefined Symbol

When I try to link a .so file I get the undefined symbol error. Though I have the library file in my system. The compile and linking commands used are as follows g++ -m64 -g -Wall -I./include -c dxl_sample.c g++ -o firstprogram -m64 -g -Wall -I./include -Bdynamic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ranadeep Ghosal
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Undefined Symbol

When I try to link a .so file I get the undefined symbol error. Though I have the library file in my system. The compile and linking commands used are as follows g++ -m64 -g -Wall -I./include -c dxl_sample.c g++ -o firstprogram -m64 -g -Wall -I./include -Bdynamic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ranadeep Ghosal
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

On £ symbol

Hi All, How do i represent £ symbol in unix and how to retain £ symbol in file. Thanks in Advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
3 Replies
MALSYM(1)						      Malaga quick reference							 MALSYM(1)

NAME
malsym - compile a Malaga symbol file SYNOPSIS
malsym symbol-file malsym extended-symbol-file -use symbol-file DESCRIPTION
Malaga is a development environment for natural-language grammars based on the Left-Associative Grammar formalism. Malaga grammars can be used for automatic morphological and/or syntactic analysis. The program malsym compiles a Malaga symbol file. Give it the symbol file (suffix .sym or .esym) that is to be translated as argument. If an extended-symbol-file (suffix .esym) is to be compiled, you must add the option -use. See info Malaga for details. OPTIONS
-h[elp] Print a help text about malsym's command line arguments and exit. -u[se] symbol-file Use the already compiled symbol-file as the base symbol file when compiling an extended symbol file. -v[ersion] Print malsym's version number and exit. AUTHORS
Malaga has been developed by Bjoern Beutel. Numerous other people distributed to it. This manpage was originally written for the Debian distribution by Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho. SEE ALSO
malaga(1), mallex(1), malmake(1), malrul(1), malshow(1) ``Malaga 7, User's and Programmer's Manual''. Available in Debian systems via info Malaga, and, if the malaga-doc package is installed, in various formats (DVI, Postscript, PDF, HTML) under /usr/share/doc/malaga-doc/. Malaga 26 September 2006 MALSYM(1)