Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert date format YYYYMMDD to MM/DD/YYYY Post 302075984 by tayyabq8 on Thursday 8th of June 2006 01:09:00 AM
Old 06-08-2006
Code:
echo "YYYYMMDD" | awk '
BEGIN {OFS="/"}
{print substr($1,5,2), substr($1,7,2), substr($1,1,4)}'

Regards,
Tayyab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to convert the string YYYYMMDD into YYYY.MM.DD

how to convert the string YYYYMMDD into YYYY.MM.DD Please advice (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spatra
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format date from MM/DD/YYYY to YYYYMMDD

I have a file with some date columns in MM/DD/YYYY format: SMPBR|DUP-DO NOT USE|NEW YORK||16105|BA5270715|6/6/2007 |MWERNER|109||||JOHN||SMITH|MD|72211118||||||74559|21 WILMINGTON RD||D|11/6/2003|SL# MD CONTACT-LIZ RICHARDS|||0|Y|N||1411458| And I want to convert the date format to: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL String to Date (Custom format yyyymmdd to dd-mon-yyyy)

Hi All, I am learning PERL for one of the projects, and in one of these scripts, I read a flat text file and print in the terminal. The problem is, the text file has a date field. The format is yyyymmdd. I need to display this as dd-mon-yyyy. Any ideas to do this? Thanks a lot for the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY

Hi , I need to convert date from YYYYMMDD to DD-MON-YYYY e.g 20111214 to 14-Dec-2011 Please help. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert any date format into yyyy/mm/dd

How can I convert any user inputted date into yyyy/mm/dd ? For example user can input date one of the following 20120121 , 2012-01-21 ,01/21/2012,01/21/2012 etc But I need to convert any of the date entered by user into yyyy/mm/dd (2012/01/2012). Any suggestion. Thanks in advance this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZeroHedge
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date column as yyyy/mm/dd format

Hi All, I have file like “April 10, 2013”,”raj” “April 29, 2013”,”raj1” Output : “2013/04/10”,”raj” “2013/04/29”,”raj1” Please help me how to do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date in dd mm yyyy format to UNIX timestamp

Hello All, I have a date in DD/MM/YYYY format. I am trying to convert this into unix timestamp. I have tried following: date -d $mydate +%s where mydate = 23/12/2016 00:00:00 I am getting following error: date: extra operand `+%s' Try `date --help' for more information. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angshuman
1 Replies

8. Programming

Date format change from mm/dd/yyyy to yyyymmdd in comma seperate line in perl

Hi All, I have line ,A,FDRM0002,12/21/2017,,0.961751583,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it contains date in mm/dd/yyyy format i want to change this to yyyymmdd format using perl. Use code tags, thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishal0746
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string (YYYYMMDD) format to date in Sun OS

Hi All I need help in converting a string of YYYYMMDD format to date in Sun OS and then find out if the day is a Wednesday or not. The "date -d" option is not working and your help is much appreciated. The date command usage from the operating system we use here is as follows: usage: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SK123
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Convert string (YYYYMMDD) format to date in Sun OS

Hi All I need help in converting a string of YYYYMMDD format to date in Sun OS and then find out if the day is a Wednesday or not. The "date -d" option is not working and your help is much appreciated. The date command usage from the operating system we use here is as follows: Thanks, SK (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SK123
11 Replies
bytes(3perl)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      bytes(3perl)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 bytes(3perl)