Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to change \tmpdir directory or increase size? Post 302075834 by ray on Wednesday 7th of June 2006 05:43:04 AM
Old 06-07-2006
From my understanding after i read about symbolic links that it is used to link a file to another file in a directory

the issue that mySQL doesn't have a specific file, it just uses var\tmp to create temporarily file when it executes queries then deletes them...

So my problem mainly is in the size of the var\tmp directory itself..not in a specific file.

Can it be solved with softlinks ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to increase the size of the stack

Hi!!, could someone tell me how to increase the stack size in HP-UX? Thanx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

increase size

Hi All, one of the mount point in Hp ux server has reached 95% its a data base file and can not be deleted. so i want to know how to increase the size of mount point i am new to unix ,please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoti
1 Replies

4. Solaris

how to increase the size of the allotment

Hi all, I have a 130gb HDD of which 95b is taken up by various partitions of windows xp... I partitioned my HDD and gave solaris 10gb of space, but now owing to some development stuff i need to increase the space!!! How do i do it!! Please note that i do have ~20gb of space left still...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase salt size

Unix protect its password by using salt It that mean larger the salt size the more secure? if the salt size increase greatly, will the password still able to be cracked? thank you for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. Solaris

increase metadevice size

Hi, I am having two metadevices d50 and d100 which are used to created soft partitions as and when required. d50 and d100 are metadevices formed on different disks. d50 -- disks 0 & 1 d100 -- disks 2 & 3 I have a soft partition d70 os 50 GB on d50. Now there is no free space on d50. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sag71155
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase size to sd[b-c]

hi guys I am working on my vmware workstation. I have a /dev/sdb which is 5GB. I am using LVM. Now I increase /dev/sdb 2 more GB. fdisk -l shows 7 GB but pvscan still shows 5GB. how do I make my system recognize the new 7GB added and be able to add those to my physical volumen and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kopper
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Increase Font size

Hi friends I want increase font size in linux can anybody help me plese Example:this is my in put Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 18G 2.5G 14G 15% / /dev/sda2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuibm
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Increase the filesystem size

Hi I am using oracle linux 6.4. My hard drive capacity is 500 GB. my filesystem size onbly 50GB. I would like to extend my filesystem size to around 100GB. I tried many codes but still I am not able. this is the output of df -h : Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: farshad
6 Replies
LNDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LNDIR(1)

NAME
lndir - create a shadow directory of symbolic links to another directory tree SYNOPSIS
lndir [ options ] fromdir [ todir ] DESCRIPTION
The lndir program makes a shadow copy todir of a directory tree fromdir, except that the shadow is not populated with real files but instead with symbolic links pointing at the real files in the fromdir directory tree. This is usually useful for maintaining source code for different machine architectures. You create a shadow directory containing links to the real source, which you will have usually mounted from a remote machine. You can build in the shadow tree, and the object files will be in the shadow directory, while the source files in the shadow directory are just symlinks to the real files. This scheme has the advantage that if you update the source, you need not propagate the change to the other architectures by hand, since all source in all shadow directories are symlinks to the real thing: just cd to the shadow directory and recompile away. The todir argument is optional and defaults to the current directory. The fromdir argument may be relative (e.g., ../src) and is relative to todir (not the current directory). If you add files, simply run lndir again. New files will be silently added. Old files will be checked that they have the correct link. Deleting files is a more painful problem; the symlinks will just point into never-never land. OPTIONS
-silent Normally lndir outputs the name of each subdirectory as it descends into it. The -silent option suppresses these status messages. -silent may be abbreviated to -s. -ignorelinks If a file in fromdir is a symbolic link, lndir will make the same link in todir rather than making a link back to the (symbolic link) entry in fromdir. The -ignorelinks option changes this behavior. The link created in todir will point back to the corre- sponding (symbolic link) file in fromdir. If the link is to a directory, this is almost certainly the wrong thing. The -ignore- links option may be abbreviated to -i. -withsymdirs If a file in fromdir is a symbolic link to a directory and the -withsymdirs option is specified, lndir will shadow the directory tree the symbolic link points to, whether or not the -ignorelinks is also specified. The -withsymdirs option may be abbreviated to -d. -clean lndir will remove dangling symbolic links and empty directories in the shadow tree. The -clean option may be abbreviated to -c. -cleanonly lndir will do the cleaning phase only, not creating the shadow tree. The todir argument may be provided, and defaults to the cur- rent directory when not provided. -withrevinfo lndir will normally not shadow any BitKeeper, RCS, SCCS, CVS, CVS.adm and .svn subdirectories, nor any .cvsignore and .gitignore files. This option causes these directories and files to be treated as any other, rather than ignored. -withrevinfo may be short- ened to -r. -noexceptions By default, lndir does not shadow files or directories whose name is .DS_Store, or ._.DS_Store, or starts with '.#', or ends in '~'. This option, which may be abbreviated to -E, causes such files to also be shadowed. -except This option adds name to an initially empty list of filenames in fromdir that are not to be shadowed. -except may be specified as -e. This option may be repeated as many times as necessary. DIAGNOSTICS
The program displays the name of each subdirectory it enters, followed by a colon. The -silent option suppresses these messages. A warning message is displayed if the symbolic link cannot be created. The usual problem is that a regular file of the same name already exists. If the link already exists but doesn't point to the correct file, the program prints the link name and the location to which it does point. XFree86 Version 4.7.0 LNDIR(1)