Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to change \tmpdir directory or increase size? Post 302075830 by tayyabq8 on Wednesday 7th of June 2006 05:23:20 AM
Old 06-07-2006
Try symbolic link

Check this thread Symbolic Link and try to search these forums with the keyword symbolic link.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to increase the size of the stack

Hi!!, could someone tell me how to increase the stack size in HP-UX? Thanx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

increase size

Hi All, one of the mount point in Hp ux server has reached 95% its a data base file and can not be deleted. so i want to know how to increase the size of mount point i am new to unix ,please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoti
1 Replies

4. Solaris

how to increase the size of the allotment

Hi all, I have a 130gb HDD of which 95b is taken up by various partitions of windows xp... I partitioned my HDD and gave solaris 10gb of space, but now owing to some development stuff i need to increase the space!!! How do i do it!! Please note that i do have ~20gb of space left still...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase salt size

Unix protect its password by using salt It that mean larger the salt size the more secure? if the salt size increase greatly, will the password still able to be cracked? thank you for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. Solaris

increase metadevice size

Hi, I am having two metadevices d50 and d100 which are used to created soft partitions as and when required. d50 and d100 are metadevices formed on different disks. d50 -- disks 0 & 1 d100 -- disks 2 & 3 I have a soft partition d70 os 50 GB on d50. Now there is no free space on d50. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sag71155
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase size to sd[b-c]

hi guys I am working on my vmware workstation. I have a /dev/sdb which is 5GB. I am using LVM. Now I increase /dev/sdb 2 more GB. fdisk -l shows 7 GB but pvscan still shows 5GB. how do I make my system recognize the new 7GB added and be able to add those to my physical volumen and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kopper
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Increase Font size

Hi friends I want increase font size in linux can anybody help me plese Example:this is my in put Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 18G 2.5G 14G 15% / /dev/sda2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuibm
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Increase the filesystem size

Hi I am using oracle linux 6.4. My hard drive capacity is 500 GB. my filesystem size onbly 50GB. I would like to extend my filesystem size to around 100GB. I tried many codes but still I am not able. this is the output of df -h : Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: farshad
6 Replies
ln(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ln(1)

Name
       ln - link to a file

Syntax
       ln [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -s ] name1 [name2]
       ln [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -s ] name ... directory

Description
       A  link is a directory entry referring to a file.  A file, together with its size and all its protection information may have several links
       to it.  There are two kinds of links: hard links and symbolic links.

By default makes hard links.  A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry.  Any  changes  to  a  file  are
       effective independent of the name used to reference the file.  Hard links may not span file systems and may not refer to directories.

Given  one or two arguments, creates a link to an existing file name1.  If name2 is given, the link has that name.  The name2 may also be a
       directory in which to place the link.  Otherwise it is placed in the current directory.	If only the directory is specified,  the  link	is
       made to the last component of name1.

Given  more  than two arguments, makes links to all the named files in the named directory.  The links made have the same name as the files
       being linked to.

Options
       -f   Forces existing destination pathnames to be removed before linking without prompting for confirmation.

-i   Write a prompt to standard output requesting information for each link that would overwrite an existing file.  If  the  response  from
	    standard input is affirmative, and if permissions allow, the link is done. The -i option has this effect even if the standard input is
	    not a terminal.

-s   Creates a symbolic link.

A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked.  The referenced file is used when an operation  is  performed	on
	    the  link.	 A  on a symbolic link returns the linked-to file.  An must be done to obtain information about the link.  The call may be
	    used to read the contents of a symbolic link.  Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories.

See Also
       cp(1), mv(1), rm(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2)

ln(1)