Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clearing file contents
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Clearing file contents Post 302073847 by dkaplowitz on Thursday 18th of May 2006 07:38:35 AM
Old 05-18-2006
`>filename` works for me on Solaris and Gentoo Linux (and I'm assuming every other Linux). Makes an empty, 0-byte file. The `cat filename > /dev/null` doesn't change the file since you are only catenating its contents and sending that output to /dev/null.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating file contents using contents of another file

Hi, I am not sure how to start doing this so I hope to get some advice as to how to start. I have 2 files. The source file contains data that I needed is in columns delimited by ";". For example, in this format: "CONTINENT","COUNTRY","CITY","ID" "asia","japan","tokyo","123"... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
21 Replies

2. Solaris

Clearing file contents

Hi, We need to clear the contents of a file. For this we tried using the commands like - '>filename' and 'cat filename > /dev/null'. If the file size is large, the above commands will clear the file contents but the size of the file remains the same (checked using the command 'ls -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghukayyar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
halibut(1)							   Simon Tatham 							halibut(1)

NAME
halibut - multi-format documentation formatting tool SYNOPSIS
halibut [options] file1.but [file2.but ...] DESCRIPTION
halibut reads the given set of input files, assembles them into a document, and outputs that document in one or more formats. The available command-line options can configure what formats Halibut should output in, and can also configure other things about the way Halibut works. OPTIONS
The command-line options supported by halibut are: --text[=filename] Makes Halibut generate an output file in plain text format. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, the output text file will be given that name. Otherwise, the name of the output text file will be as specified in the input files, or output.txt if none is specified at all. --html[=filename] Makes Halibut generate one or more output files in HTML format. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, there will be pre- cisely one HTML output file with that name, containing the whole document. Otherwise, there may be one or more than one HTML file produced as output; this, and the file names, will be as specified in the input files, or given a set of default names starting with Contents.html if none is specified at all. --winhelp[=filename] Makes Halibut generate an output file in Windows Help format. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, the output help file will be given that name. Otherwise, the name of the output help file will be as specified in the input files, or output.hlp if none is specified at all. The output help file must have a name ending in .hlp; if it does not, .hlp will be added. A secondary contents file will be created alongside the main help file, with the same name except that it will end in .cnt (for example output.cnt, if the main file is out- put.hlp). --man[=filename] Makes Halibut generate an output file in Unix man page format. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, the output man page will be given that name. Otherwise, the name of the output man page will be as specified in the input files, or output.1 if none is specified at all. --info[=filename] Makes Halibut generate an info file. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, the output info file will be given that name. Otherwise, the name of the output info file will be as specified in the input files, or output.info if none is specified at all. By default, unless configured otherwise using the cfg{info-max-file-size}{0} directive, the info output will be split into multiple files. The main file will have the name you specify; the subsidiary files will have suffixes -1, -2 etc. --pdf[=filename] Makes Halibut generate an output file in PDF format. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, the PDF output file will be given that name. Otherwise, the name of the output PDF file will be as specified in the input files, or output.pdf if none is speci- fied at all. --ps[=filename] Makes Halibut generate an output file in PostScript format. If the optional filename parameter is supplied, the PostScript output file will be given that name. Otherwise, the name of the output PostScript file will be as specified in the input files, or out- put.ps if none is specified at all. -Cword:word[:word...] Adds a configuration directive to the input processed by Halibut. Using this directive is exactly equivalent to appending an extra input file to the command line which contains the directive cfg{word}{word}{word...}. --input-charset=charset Changes the assumed character set for input files from the default of ASCII. --list-charsets Makes Halibut list character sets known to it. --list-fonts Makes Halibut list fonts known to it, either intrinsically or by being passed as input files. --precise Makes Halibut report the column number as well as the line number when it encounters an error in an input file. --help Makes Halibut display a brief summary of its command-line options. --version Makes Halibut report its version number. --licence Makes Halibut display its licence (MIT). MORE INFORMATION
For more information on Halibut, including full details of the input file format, look in the full manual. If this is not installed locally on your system, you can also find it at the Halibut web site: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/halibut/ BUGS
This man page isn't terribly complete. Halibut 2004-04-08 halibut(1)