Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh Script to Generate Symbolic Links Post 302072909 by dwisconbug on Monday 8th of May 2006 07:33:16 PM
Old 05-08-2006
Please note for step #1 I'm thinking about exttracting:

dev123(69): ls -lp ffa
lrwxrwxrwx 1 dwisc g1 19 Mar 7 09:13 link2bin -> /users/05/dwisconbug/bin

I want to awk(?) "link2bin -> /users/05/dwisconbug/bin" so I can compare it to the contents of the file - that is of course after I modify the file contents to look like

diff2= cat '${link_nm} -> ${link_dir}/${link_src}' (will this do the trick?)

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding symbolic links

How can I find all symbolic links across the network to a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehtad
2 Replies

2. Solaris

cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi, - we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty - the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that? thanks for help Jakez (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
7 Replies

3. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Links - BASH Script

Hi all, This is my first message in this forum. I'd like to know if there is a nice way to get the complete path from a symbolic link. Example: When I do a ls -ltr I see this output. lrwxr-xr-x 1 mmmm users 66 Sep 4 09:58 LINK_SEND ->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodrimuino
4 Replies

5. Solaris

symbolic links between servers

Hi Guys... I want to create a link using ln -s for a directory that does not exist on the box. How do I do that? I had some files from Box A directory /d1/u01 and I copied the files across to another Box lets say Box B on directory /d2/u02. Now I want a link so that this path /d1/u01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change symbolic links via script

Hello, the install routine puts automatically the servername "SERVER" in the symlink like: hello.txt --> /SERVER/usr/lpp/hello.txt world.txt --> /SERVER/usr/lpp/world.txt ... but i need to change this symlinks (without servername) to: hello.txt --> /usr/lpp/hello.txt world.txt -->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitty11
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links in UNIX

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 layers of soft links for it. For ex. ls -la .profile .profile@ -> /home/act/.profile_abc ls -la /home/act/.profile_abc@ -> .profile_final I want to get the name of the last file (i.e. .profile_final) when I refer to .profile using shell script. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for creating symbolic links to my photos (*.JPG)

Hi, I have all my pictures as *.JPG and *.CR2 in the following folder structure: /media/a_2TB/pictures/year/year-month-day-hour/picture*.* But sometimes I added a subdirectory --> /media/a_2TB/pictures/year/year-month-day-hour/suba/picture*.*... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8200
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)