Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find out the exact year in "Last modified time" using ls command Post 302070987 by spoodie on Tuesday 11th of April 2006 07:13:54 AM
Old 04-11-2006
Maybe I'm stating the bleeding obvious but I believe the year is displayed when the file was last modified in previous years, ie. not the current year. So you can assume that when the time is displayed the file/directory was modified in the current year.

If you're using Linux you can use the --time-style argument to force displaying of the year, but I'm not sure about UNIX:
Code:
ls -l --time-style=+%Y

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

add seconds to: date"|"time"|"HHMMSS

Hey all, I have a shell that invokes a AWK. In this AWK i want invoke a function that receives 3 parameters: date: 20080831 time: 235901 duration: 00023 that function receive this 3 parameters and sum to this value two more seconds: 2008083123590100025 Remember that in case that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaconga
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command for recently modified files - "find" command not working

I have three files a.txt , b.txt , c.txt in a directory called my_dir1 .These files were created before two or three months . I have a tar file called my_tar1.tar which contains three files a.txt , b.txt , d.txt . Somebody untarred the my_tar1.tar into my_dir1 directory. So existing two files were... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe.mani
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ps -ef" command and exact matching

Hi Guys, I am working in ksh88 and need the output of "ps -ef" command to give me the exact match of my pattern, for example: $ ps -ef 'gen_sub' UID PID PPID NLWP PGID SID STIME TIME COMMAND op 9209 8249 1 9209 9209 14:52:57 00:00 /usr/bin/ksh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
Duration(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Duration(3pm)

NAME
Time::Duration - rounded or exact English expression of durations SYNOPSIS
Example use in a program that ends by noting its runtime: my $start_time = time(); use Time::Duration; # then things that take all that time, and then ends: print "Runtime ", duration(time() - $start_time), ". "; Example use in a program that reports age of a file: use Time::Duration; my $file = 'that_file'; my $age = $^T - (stat($file))[9]; # 9 = modtime print "$file was modified ", ago($age); DESCRIPTION
This module provides functions for expressing durations in rounded or exact terms. In the first example in the Synopsis, using duration($interval_seconds): If the "time() - $start_time" is 3 seconds, this prints "Runtime: 3 seconds.". If it's 0 seconds, it's "Runtime: 0 seconds.". If it's 1 second, it's "Runtime: 1 second.". If it's 125 seconds, you get "Runtime: 2 minutes and 5 seconds.". If it's 3820 seconds (which is exactly 1h, 3m, 40s), you get it rounded to fit within two expressed units: "Runtime: 1 hour and 4 minutes.". Using duration_exact instead would return "Runtime: 1 hour, 3 minutes, and 40 seconds". In the second example in the Synopsis, using ago($interval_seconds): If the $age is 3 seconds, this prints "file was modified 3 seconds ago". If it's 0 seconds, it's "file was modified just now", as a special case. If it's 1 second, it's "from 1 second ago". If it's 125 seconds, you get "file was modified 2 minutes and 5 seconds ago". If it's 3820 seconds (which is exactly 1h, 3m, 40s), you get it rounded to fit within two expressed units: "file was modified 1 hour and 4 minutes ago". Using ago_exact instead would return "file was modified 1 hour, 3 minutes, and 40 seconds ago". And if the file's modtime is, surprisingly, three seconds into the future, $age is -3, and you'll get the equally and appropriately surprising "file was modified 3 seconds from now." FUNCTIONS
This module provides all the following functions, which are all exported by default when you call "use Time::Duration;". duration($seconds) duration($seconds, $precision) Returns English text expressing the approximate time duration of abs($seconds), with at most "$precision || 2" expressed units. (That is, duration($seconds) is the same as duration($seconds,2).) For example, duration(120) or duration(-120) is "2 minutes". And duration(0) is "0 seconds". The precision figure means that no more than that many units will be used in expressing the time duration. For example, 31,629,659 seconds is a duration of exactly 1 year, 1 day, 2 hours, and 59 seconds (assuming 1 year = exactly 365 days, as we do assume in this module). However, if you wanted an approximation of this to at most two expressed (i.e., nonzero) units, it would round it and truncate it to "1 year and 1 day". Max of 3 expressed units would get you "1 year, 1 day, and 2 hours". Max of 4 expressed units would get you "1 year, 1 day, 2 hours, and 59 seconds", which happens to be exactly true. Max of 5 (or more) expressed units would get you the same, since there are only four nonzero units possible in for that duration. duration_exact($seconds) Same as duration($seconds), except that the returned value is an exact (unrounded) expression of $seconds. For example, duration_exact(31629659) returns "1 year, 1 day, 2 hours, and 59 seconds later", which is exactly true. ago($seconds) ago($seconds, $precision) For a positive value of seconds, this prints the same as "duration($seconds, [$precision]) . ' ago'". For example, ago(120) is "2 minutes ago". For a negative value of seconds, this prints the same as "duration($seconds, [$precision]) . ' from now'". For example, ago(-120) is "2 minutes from now". As a special case, ago(0) returns "right now". ago_exact($seconds) Same as ago($seconds), except that the returned value is an exact (unrounded) expression of $seconds. from_now($seconds) from_now($seconds, $precision) from_now_exact($seconds) The same as ago(-$seconds), ago(-$seconds, $precision), ago_exact(-$seconds). For example, from_now(120) is "2 minutes from now". later($seconds) later($seconds, $precision) For a positive value of seconds, this prints the same as "duration($seconds, [$precision]) . ' later'". For example, ago(120) is "2 minutes later". For a negative value of seconds, this prints the same as "duration($seconds, [$precision]) . ' earlier'". For example, later(-120) is "2 minutes earlier". As a special case, later(0) returns "right then". later_exact($seconds) Same as later($seconds), except that the returned value is an exact (unrounded) expression of $seconds. earlier($seconds) earlier($seconds, $precision) earlier_exact($seconds) The same as later(-$seconds), later(-$seconds, $precision), later_exact(-$seconds). For example, earlier(120) is "2 minutes earlier". concise( function( ... ) ) Concise takes the string output of one of the above functions and makes it more concise. For example, "ago(4567)" returns "1 hour and 16 minutes ago", but "concise(ago(4567))" returns "1h16m ago". I18N/L10N NOTES Little of the internals of this module are English-specific. See source and/or contact me if you're interested in making a localized version for some other language than English. BACKSTORY
I wrote the basic "ago()" function for use in Infobot ("http://www.infobot.org"), because I was tired of this sort of response from the Purl Infobot: me> Purl, seen Woozle? <Purl> Woozle was last seen on #perl 20 days, 7 hours, 32 minutes and 40 seconds ago, saying: Wuzzle! I figured if it was 20 days ago, I don't care about the seconds. So once I had written "ago()", I abstracted the code a bit and got all the other functions. CAVEAT
This module calls a durational "year" an interval of exactly 365 days of exactly 24 hours each, with no provision for leap years or monkey business with 23/25 hour days (much less leap seconds!). But since the main work of this module is approximation, that shouldn't be a great problem for most purposes. SEE ALSO
Date::Interval, which is similarly named, but does something rather different. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994), where the character Data would express time durations like "1 year, 20 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes, and 35 seconds" instead of rounding to "1 year and 21 days". This is because no-one ever told him to use Time::Duration. COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMER
Copyright 2006, Sean M. Burke "sburke@cpan.org", all rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. AUTHOR
Current maintainer Avi Finkel, "avi@finkel.org"; Original author Sean M. Burke, "sburke@cpan.org" perl v5.10.1 2007-08-19 Duration(3pm)