Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Display Kernel Parameters
Operating Systems HP-UX Display Kernel Parameters Post 302070739 by shawnbishop on Friday 7th of April 2006 03:05:36 AM
Old 04-07-2006
Display Kernel Parameters

Good Day

Please couls somebody tell me how to display Configurable Kernel parameters from the command line. I am able to do it from SAM,but would like to dump the command line output to a text file so I can email it off to HP.

Kind Regards

Shawn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

kernel parameters

I want to change some kernel parameters in HP-UX11, to do with Oracle upgrade/install. I know this is done using SAM. I am told SAM will not let you enter values outside the allowable range. Could anyone tell me if they have experienced anything different? In Solaris, I would copy the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need to look at Kernel parameters

Hello all, Can anyone tell me the command line I can use to look at the following Kernel parameters: nfile maxfile maxfile_lim I'm using the Reflection manager connection to my Unix box so I can't use SAM. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: impunchdrunk
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Kernel parameters.

I've been trying to find out the following parameters of our Unix box: ==>OS version ==> patch level and the following kernel parameters =>maxfiles_lim =>maxvgs =>nproc =>msgmni =>ncsize =>nfile Could someone help me how would I find the above(commands)? Thanks, Bhagat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Adding new kernel parameters

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. i'm working on HP-UX 11.31 ia64 for testing our product i could able to change the kernel parameter values and i need to add the following parameters to the parameters list semmap = 258 nfile = 2048 msgseg = 7168 msgssz = 32 maxusers = 60 msgmap = 258 msgmax =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo09
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

6. Linux

kernel module parameters

Hi, if I install a module with specific parameter, will this parameters applied next time system boots? for exampe, I want to disable InterruptThrottleRate modprobe e1000e InterruptThrottleRate=0 Is this parameter apllied only for this run, or this module will always use this parameter when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shedon
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Kernel Parameters

Dear All, I want to check whether all essential kernel parameters are installed in my Solaris 10 System. Is there any way to find it. And also how to tune it. Kindly help. Thanks and Regards Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Kernel Parameters

Dear All, I have weblogic Portal Installed in the Server solaris 10. How can i verify whether all the kernel parameters are available for this Software and also another question is How to crosscheck a server ( Solaris 10 Sparc ) whether it has all the required kernel parameters. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to display pid and other parameters of current process through kernel module ?

how to display pid and other parameters of current process in linux platform ? i know it can be done through a linux commmand ps -F but i want it done through kernel program thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What exactly does Kernel parameters do ?

Virtual Machine running on VMWare workstation 9.2 os : RHEL 5.8 RAM : 2.5GB Swap : 2.6gb CPU : 1 virtual CPU Surprizingly I couldn't find much from googling on What exactly does Kernel parameters do ? I was under the impression that kernel parameters just set the limits/maximum for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies
alwaysdump(5)							File Formats Manual						     alwaysdump(5)

NAME
alwaysdump - defines which classes of kernel memory pages are dumped when a kernel panic occurs VALUES
Failsafe Default (Allow the kernel to choose which classes to dump.) Allowed values Integer values from to The integer value should be the sum of the integer values for the included classes as follows: 2 : Unused pages 4 : User pages 8 : Buffer cache 16 : Kernel text pages 32 : Process stack 64 : File-system Metadata 128 : Kernel dynamic data 256 : Kernel static data 512 : Unused superpage pool Recommended values (Allow the kernel to choose which classes to dump.) The value the kernel usually chooses is = and are needed for debugging any kernel problem. is needed for debugging file system problems. is needed for debugging problems involving user space applications. and are not usually needed for debugging. DESCRIPTION
On large systems, the time required to dump system memory when a kernel panic occurs can be excessive or even prohibitive, depending on how much physical memory is installed in the system. Fast-dump capabilities controlled by the and parameters provide a means for restricting kernel dumps to specific types of information: . Unused Physical Memory . User Process . Buffer Cache . Kernel Code . Process Stack . File-System Metadata . Kernel Dynamic Data . Kernel Static Data . Unused Superpage Pool The command, and its associated configuration file control which of these memory classes are to be included in the memory dumps associated with a kernel panic. On rare occasions, the system may panic before crashconf(1M) is run during the boot process. On those occasions, the configuration can be set using the and tunables. The bit-map value stored in specifies which of these memory classes are to be included in the memory dumps associated with a kernel panic. The default value for this parameter is The system determines whether or not to dump classes of memory based on the type of crash that occurs, in this case. Note that certain types of system crash, require a full crash dump. Also, the system operator may request a full crash dump at the time the dump is taken. In either of these cases, a full dump will be performed regardless of the classes selected using Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Only HP Field engineers should change the value of this tunable. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at next reboot. Use to change the selection of pages to take effect immediately. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on to include certain classes of pages in the dump when there is a system crash. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? If pages unnecessary for analyzing the dump are included, then the dump will take longer. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? The tunable is turned off by default. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? The system decides the page classes that must be dumped based on the type of crash. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? The tunable should not contain the same page classes as WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
crashconf(1M), dontdump(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters alwaysdump(5)