Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password Recovery
Special Forums Cybersecurity Password Recovery Post 302069788 by jallport on Wednesday 29th of March 2006 07:53:44 AM
Old 03-29-2006
PLEASE NOTE: I do not condone the cracking of other people's passwords for anything other than authorised penetration testing and security analysis.

However, if you have 'forgotten' a password for one of your own boxes and still have telnet/SSH access to the box via another account you could try this:

[Summary]
You'll need an offline copy of /etc/passwd and something to generate hashes against a wordlist or brute-force strings.

[Method]
You could 'cat /etc/passwd' and copy/paste from puTTY to (e.g.) Notepad [I assume you're SSH'ing from a Windoze box since you're using puTTY]

You then need something like John The Ripper, a quick machine, and patience.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to password recovery on Ultrix

I got myself a dec 5100 running ultrix with unknow password, how do i recover or change the root password on it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermike
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password recovery

We recently terminated a developer at my place of employment who created scripts on a windows server (that i do not have access to) that invoke FTP sessions on my UnixWare 7.1.1 servers. I need to know the password that is being used. Does anyone know of a good password crack? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for db password recovery

hi,all my database (.db) is created by sysbase adaptive server anywhere7.0 ! the user id is DBA. but I lost the password . Could you recovery the passwrod of this db file? thanks ! iwind (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: northwind
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Recovery

Hi, I am new to unix and I set a password for a user and now I need to recover what that password was. Is there a way, where as root, I can view what a users passwords is? Thanks, Eric (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
2 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

password recovery

hello, my password got lost - and your service to generate new passwords does not work -ive tried it out 50 times the last week or so, never got a single mail from it... please generate a new password for my account "congo" with mailadress. thanks. Thomas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo00000001
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 password recovery plz HELP!!!!!

Hello board, I'm new to Solaris Linux world, trying to learn on my onw, as I notice the windows is a big fraud.... OK let me get to my issue: I have a SOlaris 8 X86 that I don;t have a password and even the screen is disabled(assuming for the security reasons) I just see a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexOne
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

password recovery

I am trying to access an old email account but cannot recall the password and the backup email account has been closed, also. I need instructions or an expert who can assist recovering my password for web-based email account. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp_mcgee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for password recovery

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to bash scripting, although I have some experience in programming. The thing is that I have a .dmg file on my mac which I protected with a password, and now I've forgotten it. I remember the first few letters of the password and the characters that represent the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujay.jauhar
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Password recovery in login script help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi guys. My case study is about creating a script that includes password recovery whenever a user forgets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
1 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS