Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat command Post 302069109 by douknownam on Wednesday 22nd of March 2006 04:08:12 PM
Old 03-22-2006
my understanding is that it cats % and outputs to abc.txt... assuming % is referencing some file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

the CAT command

hi everybody, how do i open a txt file writen in unix on to a web page so when i want to view the txt file that was generated from a shell program, that file is open on a web page do i use the cat > filename.html command to do this, or is there another way many thanks :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexd
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAT command

All - how do i save the file after i used CAT command line to modify? Thanks :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
2 Replies

3. AIX

cat command

I would like to append some statement into 1 single file so that it can be concatenate together in 1 word. I have tried >> but it will seperate my 2 statement into 2 rows. # cat abc.txt cde.txt > result.txt where abc.txt is "abcde" and cde.txt is "12345" the result should come out as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

Dear All I have two text files File1.txt and File2.txt . I am concatenating the two files and making it as single file Cat_File.txt. Now i need to keep joined file in two different path. that is I need to use cat command only once ,but store joined file in two different locations. Since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

I believe I used the cat command to append a file beside another file (instead of below it) but I did not document it any where and I can't remember exactly how I did it. Has anyone else done this? I have tried all the cat options individually with no luck. It may be a combination of options. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need some help on using cat command

I have a file "sample.txt" with the content as below: Hi This is a Sample Text. I need a single command using cat which serve the following purpose. 1.display the contents of sample.txt 2.append some text to it 3. and then exit But, all should be served by a sinle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
1 Replies

10. AIX

cat command

Hi. How can i write a command on AIX like the one i did at linux that find string in a file and show me that string, and return 3 lines before and 4 lines after that string. my linux command is: /bin/cat <filename> | tail -150 | grep -B2 -A8 "<string to look for>" Example: /bin/cat ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yechi_r
10 Replies
HASH_FILE(3)								 1							      HASH_FILE(3)

hash_file - Generate a hash value using the contents of a given file

SYNOPSIS
string hash_file (string $algo, string $filename, [bool $raw_output = false]) DESCRIPTION
PARAMETERS
o $algo - Name of selected hashing algorithm (i.e. "md5", "sha256", "haval160,4", etc..) o $filename - URL describing location of file to be hashed; Supports fopen wrappers. o $raw_output - When set to TRUE, outputs raw binary data. FALSE outputs lowercase hexits. RETURN VALUES
Returns a string containing the calculated message digest as lowercase hexits unless $raw_output is set to true in which case the raw binary representation of the message digest is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using hash_file(3) <?php /* Create a file to calculate hash of */ file_put_contents('example.txt', 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.'); echo hash_file('md5', 'example.txt'); ?> The above example will output: 5c6ffbdd40d9556b73a21e63c3e0e904 SEE ALSO
hash(3), hash_hmac_file(3), hash_update_file(3), md5_file(3), sha1_file(3). PHP Documentation Group HASH_FILE(3)