Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat command Post 302068833 by surjyap on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 07:51:10 AM
Old 03-21-2006
cat command

What does the below command means

$cat <<% >abc.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

the CAT command

hi everybody, how do i open a txt file writen in unix on to a web page so when i want to view the txt file that was generated from a shell program, that file is open on a web page do i use the cat > filename.html command to do this, or is there another way many thanks :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexd
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAT command

All - how do i save the file after i used CAT command line to modify? Thanks :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
2 Replies

3. AIX

cat command

I would like to append some statement into 1 single file so that it can be concatenate together in 1 word. I have tried >> but it will seperate my 2 statement into 2 rows. # cat abc.txt cde.txt > result.txt where abc.txt is "abcde" and cde.txt is "12345" the result should come out as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

Dear All I have two text files File1.txt and File2.txt . I am concatenating the two files and making it as single file Cat_File.txt. Now i need to keep joined file in two different path. that is I need to use cat command only once ,but store joined file in two different locations. Since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

I believe I used the cat command to append a file beside another file (instead of below it) but I did not document it any where and I can't remember exactly how I did it. Has anyone else done this? I have tried all the cat options individually with no luck. It may be a combination of options. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need some help on using cat command

I have a file "sample.txt" with the content as below: Hi This is a Sample Text. I need a single command using cat which serve the following purpose. 1.display the contents of sample.txt 2.append some text to it 3. and then exit But, all should be served by a sinle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
1 Replies

10. AIX

cat command

Hi. How can i write a command on AIX like the one i did at linux that find string in a file and show me that string, and return 3 lines before and 4 lines after that string. my linux command is: /bin/cat <filename> | tail -150 | grep -B2 -A8 "<string to look for>" Example: /bin/cat ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yechi_r
10 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)