Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory tar: how to exclude subdirectories? Post 30023 by kymberm on Tuesday 15th of October 2002 02:45:52 PM
Old 10-15-2002
quotes in tar

Darn, this got me before!~ on the date command. THe confusing thing is that ' works in the egrep part of the statement, but have to use ` for the cat part of it! but it says argument listing too long. hmm.

tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 `cat listing.txt` is what i put in. what do you think it's not getting?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting 'tar' to exclude

I want 'tar' to exclude certain dir's. tar cvf ............. ............ does the whole lot, but I want to exclude the 'log' dirs. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar directory but exclude other

OS: SunOS perfs01 5.8 Generic_117350-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2 I want to tar a directory, but there are subdirectoires I want to exclude. Does anyone know how to do it? Please help. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar subdirectories for specific files

I have a sample directory structire like following # pwd /user/test and I have files like following out.txt A/a.txt B/b.txt C/c.txt (A,B,C are directories ) # tar cvf test.tar * a A/a.txt 1 blocks a B/b.txt 1 blocks a C/c.txt 1 blocks a out.txt 1 blocks But whenever I give (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

tar exclude list

I have solaris 8, I want to create tar for all files under this directory structure #/export/home/atg/Dynamo/home There is a subdirectory under this tree called servers/supersds/logs I want to exclude logs subdirectory so I created exclude list which contains servers/supersds/logs But tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude a directory to tar

If use tar file from a directory , how to exclude a sub-directory in this directory ? ll drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:58 b drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 c drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:57 d drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 d eg . I want to tar all files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

6. SCO

Tar exclude

Hi, We work on a UNIX SCO SCO_SV Release = 3.2v5.0.5. I have a folowing structure /u/usr/lpp /u/usr/lpp/SQL /u/usr/lpp/DIR2 I use following tar to backup the /u/usr/lpp directory cd /u/usr/lpp tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar . Now I want to exclude the subdirectory SQL. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find *.tar files under all subdirectories

Hi there, I'm new to shell scripting... I've a situation like to find *.tar files under all subdirectories in "/home/abcd" and i used the below, find /opt/lhapp ! -name "temp" | more the above works fine.. Now don't need search few direcotries like "/home/abcd/aaaa",... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude the Path in TAR ?

Hi Is there any way to exclude the absolute path while using Tar , like am using the command # tar cvf mytar.tar /home/rakesh/myback/ when i extract the mytar.tar then it shows as /home /rakesh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude file with tar

hi, i am trying to use a exclude file to exclude some file directories while making a tar archive. This is my command: tar -pcvf orahome10gR2.tar.gz db_1 -X /home/oracle/excludeFile.txt /home/oracle/ when i execute it, it seem to be tar-ing. But once is done, i cd to /home/oracle and could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redologger
2 Replies

10. Solaris

TAR exclude is not working !

I have solaris 10 and my following exclude is not working: tar -cvf /export/home/backups/$audit-Data-$useday.bkup.tar /Data --exclude=/Data/ssg/output a /Data/ssg/output/ 0K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported508.txt 107142K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported747.txt 1801K a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)