Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory tar: how to exclude subdirectories? Post 30019 by Perderabo on Tuesday 15th of October 2002 02:08:31 PM
Old 10-15-2002
I think you're using single quotes when you want back quotes.
Don't use ' when you want `

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting 'tar' to exclude

I want 'tar' to exclude certain dir's. tar cvf ............. ............ does the whole lot, but I want to exclude the 'log' dirs. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar directory but exclude other

OS: SunOS perfs01 5.8 Generic_117350-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2 I want to tar a directory, but there are subdirectoires I want to exclude. Does anyone know how to do it? Please help. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar subdirectories for specific files

I have a sample directory structire like following # pwd /user/test and I have files like following out.txt A/a.txt B/b.txt C/c.txt (A,B,C are directories ) # tar cvf test.tar * a A/a.txt 1 blocks a B/b.txt 1 blocks a C/c.txt 1 blocks a out.txt 1 blocks But whenever I give (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

tar exclude list

I have solaris 8, I want to create tar for all files under this directory structure #/export/home/atg/Dynamo/home There is a subdirectory under this tree called servers/supersds/logs I want to exclude logs subdirectory so I created exclude list which contains servers/supersds/logs But tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude a directory to tar

If use tar file from a directory , how to exclude a sub-directory in this directory ? ll drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:58 b drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 c drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:57 d drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 d eg . I want to tar all files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

6. SCO

Tar exclude

Hi, We work on a UNIX SCO SCO_SV Release = 3.2v5.0.5. I have a folowing structure /u/usr/lpp /u/usr/lpp/SQL /u/usr/lpp/DIR2 I use following tar to backup the /u/usr/lpp directory cd /u/usr/lpp tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar . Now I want to exclude the subdirectory SQL. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find *.tar files under all subdirectories

Hi there, I'm new to shell scripting... I've a situation like to find *.tar files under all subdirectories in "/home/abcd" and i used the below, find /opt/lhapp ! -name "temp" | more the above works fine.. Now don't need search few direcotries like "/home/abcd/aaaa",... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude the Path in TAR ?

Hi Is there any way to exclude the absolute path while using Tar , like am using the command # tar cvf mytar.tar /home/rakesh/myback/ when i extract the mytar.tar then it shows as /home /rakesh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude file with tar

hi, i am trying to use a exclude file to exclude some file directories while making a tar archive. This is my command: tar -pcvf orahome10gR2.tar.gz db_1 -X /home/oracle/excludeFile.txt /home/oracle/ when i execute it, it seem to be tar-ing. But once is done, i cd to /home/oracle and could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redologger
2 Replies

10. Solaris

TAR exclude is not working !

I have solaris 10 and my following exclude is not working: tar -cvf /export/home/backups/$audit-Data-$useday.bkup.tar /Data --exclude=/Data/ssg/output a /Data/ssg/output/ 0K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported508.txt 107142K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported747.txt 1801K a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)