Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reversing a list
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reversing a list Post 29881 by TioTony on Sunday 13th of October 2002 05:46:52 PM
Old 10-13-2002
Hi Jimbo,
Thanks, I think the sort -r will run faster then the sed '<address> p'. I will give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks,
Tony

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing UID's

Is it possible given a uid to determine information about the person with the uid? An example would be simple information regarding what group and the name of the person associated with that uid. It seems there is probably an easy staring me in the face but i cant seem to find it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreaming1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

output string in reversing order

If I have string { I_love_shell_scripts} anyone knows how to have output {stpircs_llehs_evol_I} by using shell and perl ?I know in perl, there is reverse() funcation, but can it be done by not using reverse()? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and reversing

Hello I'm writing script in awk that reverse order the fields of every line in file. My script have problem with spaces - if there is more spaces between fields in line of file - my script erase them . I want my script work like command "tac" - how to change it ? #!/bin/sh file=$1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing file order using SED

Im trying to develop a shell script that will change the content order of the file. For example I have a file that says a b c d I want to change this to be d c b a Im trying to use sed to this by reading the file and then inserting each line at the top #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading and reversing a string

Hi Everyone....I am new to Unix and BASH programming...I just want to read a string and reverse it and display.....can anyone help me out???? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing a line

Hi, I could not find this anywhere and I am wondering if someone knows a quick way of doing this. So heres the problem... I have a row that looks like this (an example): 5 4 3 2 1 What I want to do is reverse it so it looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 Does anyone know the simple unix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help reversing this code

ssh servername.com "echo /$APP=$BUSIN >> $URI; echo /$APP/*=$BUSIN >> $URI" Ok for example here i ssh into a example servername.com, and I think what it does some line gets put into the urifile , my question is, how would i go about removing that in a script. in summary, the above code is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing multiple lines

Hi I want to reverse multiple lines from my file eg of File1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g h I am using this code to reverse lines but it can only work with one row awk -F'\t' '{while (NF){printf("%s%s", $(NF--),!NF?"":FS)}}' File1 > File2 I want the file to look like this 9 8 7 6 5 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing a line based on column

Hi, I have a file that looks like this (tab seperated): read - DFHJ read1 - IOPE read2 + AAAB read3 + MMMN Basically what i want to do is reverse column 3 if column 2 has a - but leave it if its + so the output would look like this: read - JHFD read1 - EPOI read2 + AAAB... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies
CALENDAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       CALENDAR(1)

NAME
calendar - reminder service SYNOPSIS
calendar [ - ] DESCRIPTION
Calendar consults the file `calendar' in the current directory and prints out lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line. Most reasonable month-day dates such as `Dec. 7,' `december 7,' `12/7,' etc., are recognized, but not `7 December' or `7/12'. On weekends `tomorrow' extends through Monday. When an argument is present, calendar does its job for every user who has a file `calendar' in his login directory and sends him any posi- tive results by mail(1). Normally this is done daily in the wee hours under control of cron(8). FILES
calendar /usr/lib/calendar to figure out today's and tomorrow's dates /etc/passwd /tmp/cal* egrep, sed, mail subprocesses SEE ALSO
at(1), cron(8), mail(1) BUGS
Your calendar must be public information for you to get reminder service. Calendar's extended idea of `tomorrow' doesn't account for holidays. CALENDAR(1)