Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how can I restart X server ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can I restart X server ? Post 29838 by LivinFree on Friday 11th of October 2002 09:49:49 PM
Old 10-11-2002
Uhhh, what do you want to do again?
Are you trying to reboot the server without X going down?? Good luck...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

shutting down/restarting oracle with the solaris server restart

How can I make sure that all the database instances are shut down and brought up when the server is restarted. Krishan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restart the tomcat server

hi, I need a command that restart the tomcat server. for example for restart the tomcat i am using following command, /etc/init.d/tomcat restart ..but sometimes is not working...might be i want to use java code access this peace of script. like using the grep and ps commands can i use?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
2 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

restart windows 2000 server using command line

Hi all expert, Anybody know how to restart the windows 2000 server through command line and without using any additional tool? Thanks :):) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Server usually restart not reason

Hi everyone, - I have CentOs server 5.4 , I usually remote by ssh. - My problem is server usually restart but I don't reason. I check log in file /var/log/messages: I don't see "signal 15" which kernel have to receive before restart. Everyone can see in attach. - I try to restart with command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vietbk87
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Restart Xvnc server

Hi My i ask how to restart the Xvnc server running on a solaris box. This is the Xvnc server running process: Xvnc:1 -httpd /usr/local/vnc/classes -geometry 1024x768 -rfbwait 5000 -rfauth <dir> -rfbport <port no> -alwaysshared Additional Question: 1. Should i kill the process and restart... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restart Linux server

Hello all: I am new to LINUX/UNIX administration task. My Infrastructure admin has allocated me a special lab server in client location. Per my requirement, had chanted few settings in LINUX/UNIX and need to reboot the server. I am the "root" user. I had used "shutdown -r now" at command line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unix server restart automatically

We have HP K class unix server, It's automatically restart the server. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh24pal
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to restart a service in secondary server.

Can any one help me with a script to restart secondary server and sync data in it.. smsc101-0:ssh smsc101-1 "invoke-rc.d smsc restart" pwd:*** smsc101-0:rsync -avz /usr/local/smsc/data smsc101-1:/usr/local/npac/data (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinuku
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UI accessiblity problem when using cronjob for server restart

Hi, I have a couch Db server running. I have written a script which will check and kill the multiple instances of the same and then start again a new one. Now when i start the db server manually, the UI of the DB is accessible via browser. But when i do the same using cronjob, the UI of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarath@123
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Restart the web server

Hi, Unix AIX, on WebLogic How to Restart the web server Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies
HALT(8) 							       halt								   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, poweroff, reboot - Halt, power-off or reboot the machine SYNOPSIS
halt [OPTIONS...] poweroff [OPTIONS...] reboot [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
halt, poweroff, reboot may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the machine. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Prints a short help text and exits. --halt Halt the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -p, --poweroff Power-off the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. --reboot Reboot the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -f, --force Force immediate halt, power-off, reboot. Do not contact the init system. -w, --wtmp-only Only write wtmp shutdown entry, do not actually halt, power-off, reboot. -d, --no-wtmp Do not write wtmp shutdown entry. --no-wall Do not send wall message before halt, power-off, reboot. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. NOTES
These are legacy commands available for compatibility only. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), shutdown(8), wall(1) systemd 208 HALT(8)