Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Bad Super Block: Magic Number Wrong Post 29164 by Perderabo on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 08:24:07 AM
Old 10-01-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelam_Magnus
Try 16, I believe there is an extra one there.
Um, no there's not. We need to remember that the various versions of unix do have some differences. On his system, that "newfs -N" did not actually modify the disk, but it did produce a list of alternate superblocks for him. His first was at 32.

I do agree that having come this far I would certainly try a few more superblocks, just to explore the depth of the disaster if nothing else. But on the other hand, I would not trust a filesystem after a disaster that was so severe that two superblocks were trashed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bad magic number in super-block

I am running mandrake 8.2 and when booting I get the message: e2fschk: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda8. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and really contains a valid an ext2 filesystem (and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bad magic number

Hi, when installing a piece of third part software I get the error "Bad magic number" at one point when it tries to use libraries from the bea tuxedo server. Am I correct that this means that the software is expecting 32bit while I'm on 64bit? Is there a way around it or can it only be solved... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad Magic Number

Dear All, i have a SCSI hard disk drive i'm installing on it solaris 5 and the workstation is sun sparc, i made an image of this H.D using Norton Ghost 6, so i took off the SCSI H.D from the sun workstation and put it on a Compaq server then i booted the server from the Norton Ghost floppy disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wesweshahaha
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

BAD SUPER BLOCK - Run fsck with alternate super block number

Error received when I tried to restore a blank disk with an 'auto recovery' DDS tape via HP-UX recovery system 2.0 onto a 1Gb SCSI. I assumed it would do the setup, wrong. Could someone tell me the procedure to initial disk for recovering files using cpio. The system is a HP-UX 9.04 version on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin wanabee
1 Replies

5. Solaris

solaris error BAD SUPER BLOCK

I want mount a disk. I have this error. I'm trying to correct with the superblock but i have the same error. Look my procedure. bash-2.03# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Alternate super block location: 9423392. ** /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG USE AN ALTERNATE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

6. Solaris

wrong magic number

/pci@if,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/dad@0,0 corrupt label wrong magic number can u plz suggustion me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
6 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad super block: Magic number wrong

Whenever i run, # fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 The following error prompt out:- ** /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; eg. fsck -o b=# where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8.2 Bad magic number

I'll keep it fairly straight forward. I work with a Solaris server and magically today it decided to take a dump on me. At first it give a long list of files that couldn't be acessed before terminating the boot process and returning to the 'ok' prompt. Booting in single-user mode allowed me to run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aon
4 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can't repair super block, bad magic number

Hello all, I have a hard drive that I can't repair. The drive is WD15EARS - Filesystem ext4 ( not 100% sure ) It's used in a Synology DS110j NAS. I try to run fsck -p /dev/sdb on the HD and I get this: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb /dev/sdb: The superblock... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallasw1983
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Bad magic number error

So we have a new to us v240 server with no OS installed. It has an outdated version of OB and ALOM so before we install the OS we want to update both. We have a DVD with the latest OB patch burned on it. We do the boot cdrom command but receive the Bad Magic Number Error. Does an OS need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunkpancakes
2 Replies
NEWFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  NEWFS(8)

NAME
newfs -- construct a new UFS1/UFS2 file system SYNOPSIS
newfs [-EJNUln] [-L volname] [-O filesystem-type] [-S sector-size] [-T disktype] [-a maxcontig] [-b block-size] [-c blocks-per-cylinder-group] [-d max-extent-size] [-e maxbpg] [-f frag-size] [-g avgfilesize] [-h avgfpdir] [-i bytes] [-m free-space] [-o optimization] [-p partition] [-r reserved] [-s size] special DESCRIPTION
The newfs utility is used to initialize and clear file systems before first use. The newfs utility builds a file system on the specified special file. (We often refer to the ``special file'' as the ``disk'', although the special file need not be a physical disk. In fact, it need not even be special.) Typically the defaults are reasonable, however newfs has numerous options to allow the defaults to be selectively overridden. The following options define the general layout policies: -E Erase the content of the disk before making the filesystem. The reserved area in front of the superblock (for bootcode) will not be erased. This is a relevant option for flash based storage devices that use wear levelling algorithms. NB: Erasing may take as long time as writing every sector on the disk. -J Enable journaling on the new file system via gjournal. See gjournal(8) for details. -L volname Add a volume label to the new file system. -N Cause the file system parameters to be printed out without really creating the file system. -O filesystem-type Use 1 to specify that a UFS1 format file system be built; use 2 to specify that a UFS2 format file system be built. The default for- mat is UFS2. -T disktype For backward compatibility. -U Enable soft updates on the new file system. -a maxcontig Specify the maximum number of contiguous blocks that will be laid out before forcing a rotational delay. The default value is 16. See tunefs(8) for more details on how to set this option. -b block-size The block size of the file system, in bytes. It must be a power of 2. The default size is 16384 bytes, and the smallest allowable size is 4096 bytes. The optimal block:fragment ratio is 8:1. Other ratios are possible, but are not recommended, and may produce poor results. -c blocks-per-cylinder-group The number of blocks per cylinder group in a file system. The default is to compute the maximum allowed by the other parameters. This value is dependent on a number of other parameters, in particular the block size and the number of bytes per inode. -d max-extent-size The file system may choose to store large files using extents. This parameter specifies the largest extent size that may be used. It is presently limited to its default value which is 16 times the file system blocksize. -e maxbpg Indicate the maximum number of blocks any single file can allocate out of a cylinder group before it is forced to begin allocating blocks from another cylinder group. The default is about one quarter of the total blocks in a cylinder group. See tunefs(8) for more details on how to set this option. -f frag-size The fragment size of the file system in bytes. It must be a power of two ranging in value between blocksize/8 and blocksize. The default is 2048 bytes. -g avgfilesize The expected average file size for the file system. -h avgfpdir The expected average number of files per directory on the file system. -i bytes Specify the density of inodes in the file system. The default is to create an inode for every (4 * frag-size) bytes of data space. If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to create more inodes a smaller number should be given. One inode is required for each distinct file, so this value effectively specifies the average file size on the file system. -l Enable multilabel MAC on the new file system. -m free-space The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum free space threshold. The default value used is defined by MINFREE from <ufs/ffs/fs.h>, currently 8%. See tunefs(8) for more details on how to set this option. -n Do not create a .snap directory on the new file system. The resulting file system will not support snapshot generation, so dump(8) in live mode and background fsck(8) will not function properly. The traditional fsck(8) and offline dump(8) will work on the file system. This option is intended primarily for memory or vnode-backed file systems that do not require dump(8) or fsck(8) support. -o optimization (space or time). The file system can either be instructed to try to minimize the time spent allocating blocks, or to try to minimize the space fragmentation on the disk. If the value of minfree (see above) is less than 8%, the default is to optimize for space; if the value of minfree is greater than or equal to 8%, the default is to optimize for time. See tunefs(8) for more details on how to set this option. -p partition The partition name (a..h) you want to use in case the underlying image is a file, so you don't have access to individual partitions through the filesystem. Can also be used with a device, e.g. newfs -p f /dev/da1s3 is equivalent to newfs /dev/da1s3f. -r reserved The size, in sectors, of reserved space at the end of the partition specified in special. This space will not be occupied by the file system; it can be used by other consumers such as geom(4). Defaults to 0. -s size The size of the file system in sectors. This value defaults to the size of the raw partition specified in special less the reserved space at its end (see -r). A size of 0 can also be used to choose the default value. A valid size value cannot be larger than the default one, which means that the file system cannot extend into the reserved space. The following options override the standard sizes for the disk geometry. Their default values are taken from the disk label. Changing these defaults is useful only when using newfs to build a file system whose raw image will eventually be used on a different type of disk than the one on which it is initially created (for example on a write-once disk). Note that changing any of these values from their defaults will make it impossible for fsck(8) to find the alternate superblocks if the standard superblock is lost. -S sector-size The size of a sector in bytes (almost never anything but 512). EXAMPLES
newfs /dev/ad3s1a Creates a new ufs file system on ad3s1a. The newfs utility will use a block size of 16384 bytes, a fragment size of 2048 bytes and the largest possible number of blocks per cylinders group. These values tend to produce better performance for most applications than the his- torical defaults (8192 byte block size and 1024 byte fragment size). This large fragment size may lead to much wasted space on file systems that contain many small files. SEE ALSO
fdformat(1), geom(4), disktab(5), fs(5), bsdlabel(8), camcontrol(8), dump(8), dumpfs(8), fsck(8), gjournal(8), mount(8), tunefs(8), gvinum(8) M. McKusick, W. Joy, S. Leffler, and R. Fabry, "A Fast File System for UNIX", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems 2, 3, pp 181-197, August 1984, (reprinted in the BSD System Manager's Manual). HISTORY
The newfs utility appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
March 21, 2008 BSD