Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which Flavor to start with???? Post 28160 by mga on Friday 13th of September 2002 04:53:54 PM
Old 09-13-2002
Hammer & Screwdriver THANX !!!

Kelam_Magnus

Well i am surely serious about my question; like I am always looking for logical reasons to clear my doubts & questions thats why I have put up this question. after taking a look at the long history of UNIX OS's......there no time to even compare all of them in any regardsSmilie ...your reply has given me now a clear concept of what are the unix flavors all about & why its not possible to give all the credits to just one flavor. thanx again.

J.P

Thanx for the advice as most people including you are recommending BSD's/Slackware/redhat.......thats why i am starting with Free BSD; about linux....i have been using red hat linux7x from last 6 months but i feel to shift to unix as in my country many students almost all are trying to go for linux.....certs etc everywhere I listen is linux over here...but a very few even know about the capabilities of unix.....may be thats why I feel it like when i am going to complete my graduation.....there will be a lot of people knowing linux but a very few to admin unix boxes. and i always want to go for something which is different.

Neo

Yes indeed; one cannot have all the flavors available at the icecream palor at the same time; it all depends on individual liking...Smilie & its gonna take a long time to taste em' all. Since I am new to this world of ICECREAM flavors; i don't know how they taste;...whether i m' gonna like vanila or strawberry....but its very nice of all of you out there to help me narrow my choices among the large number of flavors. thanx Neo.

It was my very first thread @ unix.com & thanx to all of you for your nice & kind suggestions; I feel it that now @ unix.com I am gonna have a superb time learning UNIX OS's with all you nice fellows helping around. thanx again everyone!Smilie Smilie

Regards,
MGA

Last edited by mga; 09-13-2002 at 06:03 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a flavor of Unix

Hello all! I'm the new guy in these parts. I'm a part time college student/part time Java Intern. I've seen that during my days at work having a basic knowledge and understanding for Unix is a great benefit for us developers. I've got a dual boot on my main workstation at home of Win2K Pro and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMDPwred
3 Replies

2. Solaris

good OS flavor

which is more in high demand commercial solaris or BSD THANKS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxlst14
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Linux flavor of tversity

I have been using UShare, but would like to get something that is more in line with tversity's functionality. Has anyone any suggestions? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport9155
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Which flavor of unix has more job opportunities?

All, I've almost 5+ yrs experience in IT sector. i've mostly work with support projects in Unix/ Linux (Shell scripting), SQL, Autosys job scheduling. Now i really felt boring with the work i'm doing currently. Hence i've decided to expertise myself in new skill set. I'm planning to learn unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
4 Replies

6. Fedora

Flavor of Unix

I would like to know wich Unix to get and run, because I have access to "ALL" paid and non paid versions What I would like to do is set up Cloud Computing from home so that I may gain experience in this area for my resume. I have read that the best right now is Ubuntu Server v9.10 Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmeyer
1 Replies

7. Fedora

Which flavor of UNIX or Linux to learn?

Hi all, Noob here. I have been dabbling with Linux for years, basically installing different types of distros and becoming familiar with the default gui that came along with it. At this point, I find myself wanting to learn alot more. It would be great if that knowledge helped me move forward... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Petros_K
2 Replies

8. AIX

AIX and any flavor of REDhat...

trying to load a Linux version on an AIX machine. Has anybody been able to do this? Or is all IBM' software proprietory ???? Please if you have done it, tell me how you did it .... thanks much...Have you installed an open source Linux version ???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibi001
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting week start date and end date based on custom period start dates

Below are my custom period start and end dates based on a calender, these dates are placed in a file, for each period i need to split into three weeks for each period row, example is given below. Could you please help out to achieve solution through shell script.. File content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies
ADDPART(8)                                                     System Administration                                                    ADDPART(8)

NAME
addpart - tell the kernel about the existence of a partition SYNOPSIS
addpart device partition start length DESCRIPTION
addpart tells the Linux kernel about the existence of the specified partition. The command is a simple wrapper around the "add partition" ioctl. This command doesn't manipulate partitions on a block device. PARAMETERS
device The disk device. partition The partition number. start The beginning of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). length The length of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). SEE ALSO
delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The addpart command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2015 ADDPART(8)