Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which Flavor to start with???? Post 28018 by mga on Wednesday 11th of September 2002 09:50:16 AM
Old 09-11-2002
thanx

cerberusofhate & Kelam_Magnus

thanx for the nice suggestions; i think i would start with FreeBsd. but actually i am not wondering for finding unix....my question is again the same as there must be one & only one flavor that is the heart of all other unix OS's ; that must be the one dominant over other flavors for its power & stability. one who masters it masters all other flavors!!! the quest still remains for the heart of Unix Kernals!! & I am sure one day I will find it.

Again thanx for your kind suggestions.Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a flavor of Unix

Hello all! I'm the new guy in these parts. I'm a part time college student/part time Java Intern. I've seen that during my days at work having a basic knowledge and understanding for Unix is a great benefit for us developers. I've got a dual boot on my main workstation at home of Win2K Pro and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMDPwred
3 Replies

2. Solaris

good OS flavor

which is more in high demand commercial solaris or BSD THANKS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxlst14
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Linux flavor of tversity

I have been using UShare, but would like to get something that is more in line with tversity's functionality. Has anyone any suggestions? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport9155
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Which flavor of unix has more job opportunities?

All, I've almost 5+ yrs experience in IT sector. i've mostly work with support projects in Unix/ Linux (Shell scripting), SQL, Autosys job scheduling. Now i really felt boring with the work i'm doing currently. Hence i've decided to expertise myself in new skill set. I'm planning to learn unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
4 Replies

6. Fedora

Flavor of Unix

I would like to know wich Unix to get and run, because I have access to "ALL" paid and non paid versions What I would like to do is set up Cloud Computing from home so that I may gain experience in this area for my resume. I have read that the best right now is Ubuntu Server v9.10 Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmeyer
1 Replies

7. Fedora

Which flavor of UNIX or Linux to learn?

Hi all, Noob here. I have been dabbling with Linux for years, basically installing different types of distros and becoming familiar with the default gui that came along with it. At this point, I find myself wanting to learn alot more. It would be great if that knowledge helped me move forward... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Petros_K
2 Replies

8. AIX

AIX and any flavor of REDhat...

trying to load a Linux version on an AIX machine. Has anybody been able to do this? Or is all IBM' software proprietory ???? Please if you have done it, tell me how you did it .... thanks much...Have you installed an open source Linux version ???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibi001
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting week start date and end date based on custom period start dates

Below are my custom period start and end dates based on a calender, these dates are placed in a file, for each period i need to split into three weeks for each period row, example is given below. Could you please help out to achieve solution through shell script.. File content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies
UUID_COMPARE(3) 						    Libuuid API 						   UUID_COMPARE(3)

NAME
uuid_compare - compare whether two UUIDs are the same SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid.h> int uuid_compare(uuid_t uu1, uuid_t uu2) DESCRIPTION
The uuid_compare function compares the two supplied uuid variables uu1 and uu2 to each other. RETURN VALUE
Returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if uu1 is found, respectively, to be lexicographically less than, equal, or greater than uu2. AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuid_clear(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux May 2009 UUID_COMPARE(3)