Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command? Post 2778 by Neko on Monday 4th of June 2001 05:02:08 AM
Old 06-04-2001
chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them.
Structered like this:
/home/domains/domain1/
through to
/home/domains/domain100/

and those 2 directories mentioned above are here:
/home/domains/domain1/directory1/
/home/domains/domain1/directory2/
through to
/home/domains/domain100/directory1/
/home/domains/domain100/directory2/

I need to chmod 777 on /directory1/ and /directory2/

How can I do this really quickly using the find command?
I had to chmod 755 on .cgi files in those directories and I did that using this command:

find . -name "*.cgi" -exec chmod 755 {} \;

How do I modify that command to chmod 777 on all directories but not the files in those directories?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only directories in the current working directory using the "ls" command

Hello All, I am trying to list only directories in my current directory using the command "ls -d". But the output only contains the default directory "." and doesn't list the rest of the directories in the working directory. Can anyone explain why this is happening (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: cd command to access "strange" directories

I have a problem using bash. Simply, I cannot find the right command (if there's one!) to enter in the "- Arch_02 -" directory. As you can see, the name begins with a hyphen and this is causing some trouble: localhost arch2 # pwd /mnt/arch2 localhost arch2 # ls -l total 4 dr-x------ 1 root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotronic
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "find" in restricted directories

Hi, I would like to know is there any way to find/search filenames or directories inside the directories which has resticted permission. When we use normal "find" command it returns "permission denied" message for the root directories or directories with restricted permissions. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forstudy3
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

7. AIX

find command to list all the 777 files and directories owned by root user

Hi I'm logged in to an AIX box now and we need to do an audit on this box. cbssapr01:# pwd / Which command will show all the files and directories owned by root user with permissions as 777 ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \)

These three finds worked as expected: $ find . -iname "*.PDF" $ find . -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \) $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" They all returned the match: ./folder/file.pdf :b: This find returned no matches: $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
3 Replies
samba_selinux(8)					Samba Selinux Policy documentation					  samba_selinux(8)

NAME
samba_selinux - Security Enhanced Linux Policy for Samba DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux secures the Samba server via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have an extended attribute to define the file type. Policy governs the access daemons have to these files. If you want to share files other than home directories, those files must be labeled samba_share_t. So if you created a special directory /var/eng, you would need to label the directory with the chcon tool. chcon -t samba_share_t /var/eng To make this change permanent (survive a relabel), use the semanage command to add the change to file context configuration: semanage fcontext -a -t samba_share_t "/var/eng(/.*)?" This command adds the following entry to /etc/selinux/POLICYTYPE/contexts/files/file_contexts.local: /var/eng(/.*)? system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0 Run the restorecon command to apply the changes: restorecon -R -v /var/eng/ SHARING FILES
If you want to share files with multiple domains (Apache, FTP, rsync, Samba), you can set a file context of public_content_t and pub- lic_content_rw_t. These context allow any of the above domains to read the content. If you want a particular domain to write to the pub- lic_content_rw_t domain, you must set the appropriate boolean. allow_DOMAIN_anon_write. So for samba you would execute: setsebool -P allow_smbd_anon_write=1 BOOLEANS
SELinux policy is customizable based on least access required. So by default SELinux policy turns off SELinux sharing of home directories and the use of Samba shares from a remote machine as a home directory. If you are setting up this machine as a Samba server and wish to share the home directories, you need to set the samba_enable_home_dirs boolean. setsebool -P samba_enable_home_dirs 1 If you want to use a remote Samba server for the home directories on this machine, you must set the use_samba_home_dirs boolean. setsebool -P use_samba_home_dirs 1 system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), samba(7), chcon(1), setsebool(8), semanage(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 samba_selinux(8)