Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: su (-) command
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users su (-) command Post 27769 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 6th of September 2002 12:32:27 PM
Old 09-06-2002
IMHO, I think you need to restrict root access more. But that's just me. Smilie

Also, typically you don't need to use su - root. You can just type su - and this will fault to root, at least on HPUX. You only need to specify su - username for any other user besides root. Again this is my experience on HPUX. Smilie

Your answer is to alias su to su -, which you probably already figured out. You can overwrite a command by aliasing it. When you remove the alias the original command takes over again.

alias su=`su -`#syntax depends on OS version #those are backtics

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Another one line command where I'd like to determine if Ubuntu or Red Hat when running command

Hello Forum, I'm making very good progress on my report thanks to the very helpful people on this forum. I've been able to successfully create my report for my Red Hat servers. But I do have a few ubuntu servers in the mix and I'd like to capture some data from them when an ssh connection is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
8 Replies
cdsalias(1m)															      cdsalias(1m)

NAME
cdsalias - A dcecp object that lets you manipulate cell names in CDS SYNOPSIS
cdsalias catalog cdsalias connect cdsalias create cellalias_name cdsalias delete cellalias_name cdsalias help [operation | -verbose] cdsalias operations ARGUMENTS
A single, fully qualified alias name of the cell in the following form: /.../cellalias_name The name of the cdsalias operation for which to display help information. DESCRIPTION
The cdsalias object represents cell names as known by the Cell Directory Service (CDS). This object lets you manipulate alias and pre- ferred names of DCE cells. Each cell has one preferred name. Cells may also have alias names. This object affects only the CDS compo- nent. The security server and each host must also be informed of any new cell aliases. This object can also be used to define a hierarchical relation between one cell and another by connecting the first cell's root directory namespace into the the second cell's namespace. When defining a hierarchical relationship, you must use the account command to establish a trust relationship between the cells. To manipulate alias and preferred names, the CDS_DirectoryVersion attribute must be set to 4.0 or greater. See the ATTRIBUTES section of the directory command for more information. OPERATIONS
cdsalias catalog Returns a list of all defined cell aliases in CDS. The syntax is as follows: cdsalias catalog The catalog operation returns a list of all defined cell aliases in CDS. Each alias name is labeled either alias or primary, depending on which name is the current preferred name. Privileges Required Requires r (read) permission on the root directory of the cell. Examples dcecp> cdsalias catalog {CDS_CellAliases {Alias /.../green.cell.osf.org} {Primary /.../blue.cell.osf.org}} dcecp> cdsalias connect Establishes a hierarchical relationship between two cells. The syntax is as follows: cdsalias connect The connect operation creates a hierarchical relationship between two cells. It takes no argument. The current preferred name of the cell is used and the last relative distinguished name (RDN) is removed to identify the parent cell. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required Requires a (auth_info) permission on the the local cell's root directory. Also, the CDS server principal on the machine containing the master replica of the local cell's root directory needs i (insert) permission on the parent cell's root directory. Examples dcecp> cdsalias connect dcecp> cdsalias create Creates a new alias cell name in CDS. The syntax is as follows: cdsalias create cellalias_name The create operation creates a new alias cell name in CDS. The required argument is a single fully qualified alias name of the cell. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required Requires a (auth_info) permission on the root directory of the cell. Examples dcecp> cdsalias create /.../green.cell.osf.org dcecp> cdsalias delete Deletes an existing alias cell name from CDS. The syntax is as follows: cdsalias delete cellalias_name The delete operation deletes an existing alias cell name from CDS. The required argument is a single fully qualified alias name of the cell. If the alias name does not exist, an error is returned. You cannot use this command to delete the preferred cell name. This opera- tion returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required Requires a (auth_info) permission on the root directory of the cell. Examples dcecp> cdsalias delete /.../green.cell.osf.org dcecp> cdsalias help Returns help information about the cdsalias object and its operations. The syntax is as follows: cdsalias help [operation | -verbose] Options Displays information about the cdsalias object. Used without an argument or option, the cdsalias help command returns brief information about each cdsalias operation. The optional opera- tion argument is the name of an operation about which you want detailed information. Alternatively, you can use the -verbose option for more detailed information about the cdsalias object itself. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the cdsalias help command. Examples dcecp> cdsalias help catalog Returns the aliases known by CDS for the named cell. connect Establishes a hierarchi- cal relationship between two cells. create Creates the named cdsalias for the local cell. delete Deletes the existing cdsalias from the local cell. help Prints a summary of command-line options. operations Returns a list of the valid operations for this command. dcecp> cdsalias operations Returns a list of the operations supported by the cdsalias object. The syntax is as follows: cdsalias operations The list of available operations is in alphabetical order except for help and operations, which are listed last. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the cdsalias operations command. Examples dcecp> cdsalias operations catalog connect create delete help operations dcecp> RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: dcecp(1m), dcecp_account(1m), dcecp_cellalias(1m), dcecp_directory(1m), dcecp_hostdata(1m). cdsalias(1m)