Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: various restart commands ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers various restart commands ? Post 27716 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 5th of September 2002 12:54:00 PM
Old 09-05-2002
I agree with Perderabo.

The only time I really use reboot is when I am in Single user mode and need to reboot to get to multi. There may be other cases, but that's it for me.

Regarding init I can't think of the last time that I used it for anything. I occasionally use it for going from multi to init 4 to test scripts that I have written and then come back to init 3 for multi. Sometimes I will use it to go to init 2 and then patch my boxes before rebooting (shutdown -ry now).

I most situations for taking down a system shutdown is the only way to fly. Smilie

man 1m shutdown

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I restart X server ?

WITHOUT shutdown X ??? thanks , Ivan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oneivan
6 Replies

2. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restart a CRON

If my cron has recieved a SIGTERM. How do I restart the cron? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddrivera
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Postfix Restart

I am really really new on UNIX system. I am trying to update our e-mail list. I added/deleted new members at etc/aliases but e-amil always got old e-mail lists. I reloaded postmaster but does not seem to be working. Anybody has any idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any Restart Script?

Hi, I would like to check if there's any sample of restart script for my AIX server. I'm planning to restart it every month. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ademah
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restart a script?

Hello, I created a shell script in /etc/init.d and it already runs at boot. However I cannot figure out how to make it run just like typing "scrip_name start" I can run it like this ./script_name but since I am doing remote log in whenever I log off the script stops and I also don't want to run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

restart parameter

I have a shell script with 4 separate functions taking place, one after the other. Is there a way to introduce a parameter so that if the job fails, then I can restart it at a specific point in the script ? Ideally, the default will be null (or 1), so that it will not normally be set, and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

9. AIX

HACMP: difference between 'cl' commands and 'cli' commands

Hi all, I'm new in this forum. I'm looking for the difference between the HACMP commands with the prefix "cl" and "cli". The first type are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/sbin directory and the second are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/cspoc directory. I know that the first are called HACMP for AIX... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peppix
0 Replies

10. Solaris

sshd not able to restart

Hi, I was able to putty a few server (Solaris 10) of mine using hostname, but when i change to ip address, it shows login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Access denied I change PermitRootLogin to yes. I tried to do a sshd restart, however ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
6 Replies
runit-init(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     runit-init(8)

NAME
init - a UNIX process no 1 SYNOPSIS
init [ 0 | 6 ] DESCRIPTION
runit-init is the first process the kernel starts. If runit-init is started as process no 1, it runs and replaces itself with runit(8). If runit-init is started while the system is up, it must be either called as init 0 or init 6: init 0 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and halt the system. To signal runit(8) the system halt request, runit-init removes all permissions of the file /etc/runit/reboot (chmod 0), and sets the execute by owner permission of the file /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). init 6 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and reboot the system. To signal runit(8) the system reboot request, runit-init sets the execute by owner permission of the files /etc/runit/reboot and /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). EXIT CODES
runit-init returns 111 on error, 0 in all other cases. SEE ALSO
runit(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), sv(8), runsv(8), chpst(8), utmpset(8), svlogd(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> runit-init(8)