Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: various restart commands ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers various restart commands ? Post 27662 by champion on Wednesday 4th of September 2002 09:09:50 PM
Old 09-04-2002
various restart commands ?

hi,

i am running a Sun Solaris 8 Sparc machine.

i would like to know the differences between the following commands :

1) init 6
2) reboot
3) shutdown -y -i6 -g0

any other machine restart commands (for multi-user mode)?

pls help me.

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I restart X server ?

WITHOUT shutdown X ??? thanks , Ivan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oneivan
6 Replies

2. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restart a CRON

If my cron has recieved a SIGTERM. How do I restart the cron? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddrivera
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Postfix Restart

I am really really new on UNIX system. I am trying to update our e-mail list. I added/deleted new members at etc/aliases but e-amil always got old e-mail lists. I reloaded postmaster but does not seem to be working. Anybody has any idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any Restart Script?

Hi, I would like to check if there's any sample of restart script for my AIX server. I'm planning to restart it every month. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ademah
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restart a script?

Hello, I created a shell script in /etc/init.d and it already runs at boot. However I cannot figure out how to make it run just like typing "scrip_name start" I can run it like this ./script_name but since I am doing remote log in whenever I log off the script stops and I also don't want to run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kizofilax
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

restart parameter

I have a shell script with 4 separate functions taking place, one after the other. Is there a way to introduce a parameter so that if the job fails, then I can restart it at a specific point in the script ? Ideally, the default will be null (or 1), so that it will not normally be set, and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

9. AIX

HACMP: difference between 'cl' commands and 'cli' commands

Hi all, I'm new in this forum. I'm looking for the difference between the HACMP commands with the prefix "cl" and "cli". The first type are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/sbin directory and the second are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/cspoc directory. I know that the first are called HACMP for AIX... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peppix
0 Replies

10. Solaris

sshd not able to restart

Hi, I was able to putty a few server (Solaris 10) of mine using hostname, but when i change to ip address, it shows login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: Access denied I change PermitRootLogin to yes. I tried to do a sshd restart, however ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
6 Replies
sv(8)                                                         System Manager's Manual                                                        sv(8)

NAME
sv - control and manage services monitored by runsv(8) SYNOPSIS
sv [-v] [-w sec] command services /etc/init.d/service [-w sec] command DESCRIPTION
The sv program reports the current status and controls the state of services monitored by the runsv(8) supervisor. services consists of one or more arguments, each argument naming a directory service used by runsv(8). If service doesn't start with a dot or slash and doesn't end with a slash, it is searched in the default services directory /etc/service/, otherwise relative to the current directory. command is one of up, down, status, once, pause, cont, hup, alarm, interrupt, 1, 2, term, kill, or exit, or start, stop, restart, shutdown, force-stop, force-reload, force-restart, force-shutdown. The sv program can be sym-linked to /etc/init.d/ to provide an LSB init script interface. The service to be controlled then is specified by the base name of the ``init script''. COMMANDS
status Report the current status of the service, and the appendant log service if available, to standard output. up If the service is not running, start it. If the service stops, restart it. down If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. If ./run exits, start ./finish if it exists. After it stops, do not restart service. once If the service is not running, start it. Do not restart it if it stops. pause cont hup alarm interrupt quit 1 2 term kill If the service is running, send it the STOP, CONT, HUP, ALRM, INT, QUIT, USR1, USR2, TERM, or KILL signal respectively. exit If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. Do not restart the service. If the service is down, and no log service exists, runsv(8) exits. If the service is down and a log service exists, send the TERM signal to the log service. If the log service is down, runsv(8) exits. This command is ignored if it is given to an appendant log service. sv actually looks only at the first character of these commands. Commands compatible to LSB init script actions status Same as status. start Same as up, but wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available; it's considered to be avail- able if ./check exits with 0. stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status or timeout. reload Same as hup, and additionally report the status afterwards. restart Send the commands term, cont, and up to the service, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and avail- able again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status or timeout. force-stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-reload Send the service the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-restart Send the service the term, cont and up commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. force-shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status, and on timeout send the ser- vice the kill command. try-restart if the service is running, send it the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. Additional Commands check Check for the service to be in the state that's been requested. Wait up to 7 seconds for the service to reach the requested state, then report the status or timeout. If the requested state of the service is up, and the script ./check exists in the service direc- tory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and running; it's considered to be up if ./check exits with 0. OPTIONS
-v If the command is up, down, term, once, cont, or exit, then wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. -w sec Override the default timeout of 7 seconds with sec seconds. This option implies -v. ENVIRONMENT
SVDIR The environment variable $SVDIR overrides the default services directory /etc/service/. SVWAIT The environment variable $SVWAIT overrides the default 7 seconds to wait for a command to take effect. It is overridden by the -w option. EXIT CODES
sv exits 0, if the command was successfully sent to all services, and, if it was told to wait, the command has taken effect to all ser- vices. For each service that caused an error (e.g. the directory is not controlled by a runsv(8) process, or sv timed out while waiting), sv increases the exit code by one and exits non zero. The maximum is 99. sv exits 100 on error. If sv is called with a base name other than sv: it exits 1 on timeout or trouble sending the command; if the command is status, it exits 3 if the service is down, and 4 if the status is unknown; it exits 2 on wrong usage, and 151 on error. SEE ALSO
runsv(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), runit(8), runit-init(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> sv(8)