Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers editing bash command line with vi Post 27568 by LivinFree on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 09:36:40 PM
Old 09-03-2002
You should be able to put a "set -o vi" in your .bashrc...
I think you will have to press [Esc] first to put it in edit mode...
Try it out.

Type "set -o" to get a list of options - the only downside is that you won't be in emacs mode anymore, so arrows won't work (to scroll up, you'll have to type "[Esc]" then "k" for example).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single line file editing command?

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot about the various different text editors at my disposal through Unix, but I just can't seem to close the deal for what I am trying to do. Is there a way to issue a single line command to edit a file where pattern=x, and do it non-destructively AND in-place?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gator76
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh command line editing text being overwritten

hi. i'm using ksh with set -o vi. if i am far down in a directory and try to edit the command line (esc-k to retrieve previous command) the cursor is being positioned over to the left on top of the directory text making the text very difficult to read or work with. seems to be problem with long... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffa123
2 Replies

3. AIX

Typing "bash" at the command line spawns two bash processes

Server: IBM p770 OS: AIX 6.1 TL5 SP1 When one of our develoeprs types "bash" on the command line to switch shells, it hangs. For some reason, two bash processes are created....the first bash process spawns a second bash process in the same console, causing a hang. Anyone have any idea what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash, command line substitution

I have one script calling another with a set of strings that includes white space. Script A calls Script B with these input strings: one two "th ree" Script B pulls apart the arguments correctly: arg0 = one, arg1 = two, arg2 = "th ree" if I call it from within Script A like so:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: skippyV
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Loading a command's output line by line into an array

I have been trying this a lot of different ways and haven't found too much online. Here's what I've got so far: j=0 declare -a first zero=(`cat $tmpfile`) for i in "${zero}" do command $i >> "${first}" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp command works on command line but not in bash

The below command moves all the .vcf files into the directory. cp /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/vcf/overall/stats/*.vcf /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/annovar When I use a bash wrapper the target.txt gets created but the text files do not get copied. All the paths are the same, but not sure why... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash command line

OS : RHEL / Oracle Linux 6.8 In bash shell, how can I replace a character under the cursor with another character ? In the below example , after I typed the following line, I realized that I meant 7013 and not 2013. So I move the cursor to the left and keep it on top of 2 (of 2013) and I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies
FvwmConsole(1)							   Fvwm Modules 						    FvwmConsole(1)

NAME
FvwmConsole - an fvwm command input interface SYNOPSIS
Module FvwmConsole [options] FvwmConsole can only be invoked by fvwm. Command line invocation of the FvwmConsole module will not work. DESCRIPTION
FvwmConsole allows the user to type fvwm configuration commands interactively, and have them executed immediately. This tool is particu- larly useful for testing new configuration ideas, or for implementing temporary changes to your environment. INVOCATION
FvwmConsole must be spawned as a module by fvwm. FvwmConsole takes all xterm(1) options. FvwmConsole can be invoked by inserting the line 'Module FvwmConsole' in the .fvwm2rc file. This can be placed on a line by itself, if FvwmConsole is to be spawned during fvwm's initialization, or can be bound to a menu or mouse button or keystroke to invoke it later. CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
FvwmConsole uses xterm(1). All resources set for xterm are inherited unless overridden by command line options. Module FvwmConsole -g 40x10 -fg black -bg green3 A different terminal emulator can be specified with the -terminal option. However, only terminal programs that understand the options -name, -title and -e can be used. Module FvwmConsole -terminal rxvt Previous versions of FvwmConsole supported a -e option to choose a different front-end. Although this option is still provided for back- wards compatibility its use is discouraged unless you know exactly what you are doing. Module FvwmConsole -e FvwmConsoleC.pl (see FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)). Also X resources can be set in your ~/.Xdefaults file: FvwmConsole*VT100*geometry: 40x4 FvwmConsole*font: 7x14 COMMAND EDITING
There are a few options. If the GNU readline library is available, it can be used. If Perl5 is installed, FvwmConsoleC.pl can be used as a command editor. This can be accomplished by either copying FvwmConsoleC.pl to fvwmlib directory as FvwmConsoleC or invoking FvwmConsole with -e option. For example: Module FvwmConsole -e FvwmConsoleC.pl If neither one is installed, a simple input reading function which doesn't have editing capabilities is used. GNU readline and FvwmConsoleC.pl have some frequent used commands in common as default. These commands are similar to emacs. For more details, refer GNU readline man and info pages, and FvwmConsoleC.pl man page. Ctrl-A - beginning of line Ctrl-B - previous char Ctrl-D - delete char Ctrl-E - end of line Ctrl-F - next char Ctrl-H - backspace Ctrl-K - erase to the end of line Ctrl-N - next line Ctrl-P - previous line Ctrl-R - search reverse Ctrl-U - delete line Meta-B - previous word Meta-F - next word Esc < - beginning of history Esc > - end of history EXITING
FvwmConsole can be stopped by entering the EOF character (usually CTRL-D). Note! Do not use the "quit" command, as this is an fvwm builtin: typing "quit" at the FvwmConsole command line will cause fvwm to exit. SEE ALSO
xterm(1), FvwmConsoleC.pl(1), GNU Readline library AUTHOR
FvwmConsole is the original work of Toshi Isogai. 3rd Berkeley Distribution 09 May 2010 (2.5.30) FvwmConsole(1)